1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Field Strength Question

1. Jan 16, 2005 #1
    I need help with the following question.

A diopole is made up of two charges, Q1 and Q2, that are seperated by a distance of 1 meter. Q1 has a charge of +3C and Q2 has a charge of -3C. What is the electric field strength of the field set up by these two charges at a point exactly halfway between them?

I know the formula for this type of question, and it seems fairly simple as far as just entering in the values, but I'm having a hard time figuring out what Q and the distance is going to be.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 16, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hold on,what Q??The distance is half a meter...

You just have to add two vectors,that's it.

Daniel.

4. Jan 16, 2005 #3

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

DLxX,

Have you heard of the superposition principle ? Do you know how to calculate the field at a certain distance from a point charge ?

5. Jan 16, 2005 #4
    Yeah its just superposition, just take the E field generated with respect to Q1 at the midpoint, as if Q2 did not exist, and add it to the E field generated with respect to Q2 at the midpoint, as if Q1 did not exist, and you should get your net E field.

Athalus

6. Jan 16, 2005 #5

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Exactly,so do that...

Daniel.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?