1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric field strength

1. Dec 27, 2004 #1
    What is the electric field strength at a point in space where a proton experiences an acceleration of 1 million "g"?

I'm completely lost on this one I know it's bound to be something simple but I just can't figure out where to start with it, well other than that 1 million "g" should be 9.8x10^6 m/s^2

I'm also not quite sure, but I'm guessing this will have something to do with gravitational fields.
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 27, 2004 #2

Staff: Mentor

The question seems to infer that the proton is accelerated by the electric field.

Think about the relationship of Force to the electric field strength and as a function of mass and acceleration.

[tex]\vec{F} = m\vec{a} = q\vec{E}[/tex]
  4. Dec 27, 2004 #3
    okay, so I get...

ma = (1.64x10^-21)/(1.6x10^-19) = 0.01N/C

would that be right?
  5. Dec 27, 2004 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

U missed one order of size:
    [tex] |\vec{E}|=\frac{m_{proton}|\vec{a}|}{q_{proton}} [/tex]
    [tex] |\vec{E}|=\frac{1.67\cdot 10^{-27}Kg\cdot 9.8\cdot 10^{6} ms^{-2}}{1.6\cdot 10^{-19}C}\sim 0,1N/C [/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?