1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric field strength

1. Jun 12, 2014 #1
    Physics Problem , please help I'm writing a test tomorrow and want to know if I'm right.
    The Question :

Two point charges Q1 and Q2 are spaced 3m apart.

Q1's charge = 14C
    Q2's charge = +20 C

*Q1 -------(3meters)------- *Q2 ----(2meters)---- *P

Calculate the net electric field at point P, 2m right from where Q2 is situated?

My Calculations :

Q1 on P = -5.04 x10^9
    Q2 on P = 4.5 x10^10

Final answer = Net : 3.996x10^10

Formula used:

E = (k*Q)/r^2

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 12, 2014 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello, Burger. Welcome to PF!

Did you forget to include the sign of Q1 when you stated Q1 = 14 C?

It is important to always include units with your answers.

Just to be sure that you have a full understanding, what is the interpretation of the negative sign for your answer for the electric field of Q1 at P?

Finally, electric field is a vector. So, it has a magnitude and a direction. Therefore, your final answer for the field at P should include both a magnitude and a direction. The direction should be clearly stated and not left to the reader to interpret.

Otherwise, your numbers look good! (You're getting a very large answer because a Coulomb is a huge amount of static charge.)

4. Jun 12, 2014 #3
    Q1's charge = -14 C

Thanks for the help! Will ace the Test hopefully. I must just remember to include the direction the N•C^-1

5. Jun 12, 2014 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

OK. Good luck with the test!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted