Electric field symbol

1. Yo! Anyone know of any free font compatible with Word (or that comes with Word!) that has the goddam electric field symbol in it? Whoever came up with that sign had an irrational hatred of word processors.

2. jcsd
  3. What do you mean by "electric field symbol"? I always thought electric field (strength) was represented by "E".

4. It's like an E, but it's squiggly. It's not electric field strength, it's the vector I'm after. Anyone else?

5. Do you mean epsilon? It's a greek letter.

[tex] \epsilon [/tex]

In American textbooks I often see E as the electric field and epsilon as the energy density.

6. No, it's not in the Greek alphabet. If it were, that would be cool since loads of standard fonts have Greek characters.

'E' seems to be the most common symbol for the electric field, but we seem to use another (note to self: must find out why). It's like an E, but more elaborate and... squiggly. It's the best word for it.

So if anyone knows any alternative symbols to 'E' for the electric field, please let me know. Thanks.

7. I've only seen E, here are E's some from the Latex sheet,

[tex] \mathbb{E} \ \epsilon \ \varepsilon\ \xi [/tex]

I've also seen an E that has the same style as this N, maybe that's what you're looking for:

[tex] \aleph [/tex]

8. dextercioby

dextercioby 12,314
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The 4-the letter is a Greek letter called "xi" ,not an "e".:tongue:

Daniel.

9. dextercioby

dextercioby 12,314
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Do you mean the "E" in the Gothic (German) alphabet ?This one

[tex] \mathfrak{E} [/tex] ?

Daniel.

P.S.Electric field strength is a vector. :rolleyes:

10. Tom Mattson

Tom Mattson 5,538
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Or how about [itex]\cal E[/itex]?

11. Epsilon isnt 'E' either, they jus both look like E's :tongue2:

12. dextercioby

dextercioby 12,314
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Epsilon's is read "e" in any version of Greek .:tongue: While "xi" is read "e",iff the reader's drunk.

Daniel.

13. robphy

robphy 4,395
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Can you use the Equation Editor (not installed by default with MS Word)?
    Can you attach a small scan? or name the text you are using?

14. I think this is the one he's after. I've seen this used in many texts.

15. Hi all. Sorry, none of the above suggestions fit the bill. The reason I couldn't show you what I meant was simply that I couldn't find a wesbite that used it on the internet either - everything uses 'E', so I'm pretty confused why we're using this mad symbol.

It looks a lot like xi, and I've been using that, but I don't think it is, since the textbook has used the xi symbol too and they're clearly different.

But anyway, I have resolved to suffer the embarrassment and attempt to draw this evil bast. Attached as a bmp file. Don't laugh.

Attached Files:

16. :tongue: dex :tongue:

Thats the one Tom Mattson pasted, except more elaborate (I believe).

17. My physics teacher often says
    "Symbols are not important what do symbol represent is important" :tongue:

18. Is that upper-case epsilon? Dammit, guess what upper-case epsilon is in Word... 'E'! Well, at least that explains the interchangeability of electric field symbols... blame the greeks I guess.

Okay, so does anyone know a font that has [itex]\cal E[/itex]? I can't find that either. :frown: I guess I could just use a lower case epsilon and up the font size...

19. dextercioby

dextercioby 12,314
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I have "Caligraphic" fonts installed in my SWP 2.5 (dating 1995).I'm sure they're installed in Miktex and other Windows base Tex editors.You can copy paste it as an image into a Word document,if the stupid MS program doesn't have "Caligraphic" fonts.

Daniel.

20. Guess what the stupid MS program doesn't have...

Poke it, I'll just use the lower-case one and make it reet big.

Thanks everyone.

21. Yeah I noticed that squigly looking E when scanning through a materials science text book--- engineers may often use different symbols than physicists--- but as an EE student... most of the stuff in my EE textbooks is pretty much the same as physics...

although the confusion of EEs using H for magnetic field strength and B for magnetic flux density.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?