1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric field symmetry

1. Dec 16, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Problem statement:

In the attached figure, two curved plastic rods, one of charge q and the other of
    charge q, form a circle of radius R 8.50 cm in an xy plane. The x axis passes
    through both of the connecting points, and the charge is distributed uniformly on
    both rods. If q 15.0 pC, what are the (a) magnitude and (b) direction (relative to
    the positive direction of the x axis) of the electric field produced at P, the center of the circle?
    2. Relevant equations
    3. The attempt at a solution

Read solution on Chegg.com
    My question:
    Why is it that the electric field only have a component in the x-axis?

Attached Files:

• spg.png
      spg.png
      File size:
      23.7 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 16, 2015 #2

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think the question means the angle the net E field makes with the positive x axis (with the unit vector ##\hat{x}##).

4. Dec 16, 2015 #3
    To get a better picture of the net field draw the electric field vector from a small segment of the curve
    above the axis and the electric field vector from a corresponding segment below the x-axis

5. Dec 17, 2015 #4
    Thanks #3 - with the drawing i found the reason :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted