Electric Field - Three Charges

In summary, the problem asked for the magnitude of the electric field due only to charge q3 at a specific point, which was halfway between q1 and q2 on the x-axis. The charges were arranged in an equilateral triangle with side length 0.537m and angle alpha of 60 degrees. The equations used were F = k (qa)(qb)/r^2, E = k (q)/r^2, and E = F/q0. It was important to pay attention to negative signs in order to get accurate results.
DeltaIceman

Homework Statement

Three charges, q1 = 8.59nC, q2 = -5.67nC and q3 = 2.98nC are at the corners of an equilateral triangle, as shown in the figure below.

The angle alpha is 60.0° and L = 0.537 m. We are interested in the point midway between the charges q1 and q2 on the x axis.
For starters, calculate the magnitude of the electric field due only to charge q3 at this point

Homework Equations

F = k (qa)(qb)/r^2
E = k (q)/r^2
E = F/q0

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay so I am at an utter loss... I thought at first you should find all the Forces from each point on 3. using the first equation. And so well I did that. Then I took those forces and used the angle of 60 degrees to get them all going in the same direction that way I could get the net force. After gaining the net force I used the x and the y to find the magnitude of the net force. Then I used the 3rd equation listed. so I divided the F by q3 and received an answer. But I feel like my thought process is wrong. I don't have a scanner or anything. Or I would upload my hand written work. But I typed each step that I took.

Physics news on Phys.org
A couple of things are not clear in your problem statement. What is it you are asked to find? Since you didn't provide a picture, you need to describe the arrangement of the charges a little better. Are q1 and q2 on the x-axis while q3 is above them on the y axis? Is L the length of the sides of the equilateral triangle?

The question asked is to calculate the magnitude of the electric field due only to charge q3 at this point? This is the last statement of the problem. In the picture provided (I tried to copy and paste but it didn't work.) Q1 is touching at the origin and Q2 is a little to the right on the x-axis. Since the triangle is an equilateral triangle Q3 is half way between them to the right off the y-axis in quadrant I. The length of Side Q3 to Q2 is .537m. I made the assumption that all the sides were this long now because its an equilateral triangle. Also Each angle of the triangle is 60 degrees or at least should be since its an equilateral triangle. Sorry if I wasn't clear before.

Thanks for the help AFM but I was able to figure out this problem on my own after looking at it for a little while. I messed up on a negative sign and it threw all of my numbers off.

DeltaIceman said:
Thanks for the help AFM but I was able to figure out this problem on my own after looking at it for a little while. I messed up on a negative sign and it threw all of my numbers off.

Good for you for figuring it out!

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a region surrounding a charged object in which a force would be exerted on other charged objects. It is represented by lines of force known as electric field lines.

2. How does the presence of multiple charges affect the electric field?

The presence of multiple charges creates a combined electric field that is the vector sum of the individual electric fields. This means that the electric field at any given point is the sum of the electric fields created by each charge separately.

3. How does the distance between charges affect the strength of the electric field?

The electric field strength decreases as the distance between charges increases. This is known as the inverse square law, which states that the strength of the electric field is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the charges.

4. What is the direction of the electric field at a point between two opposite charges?

The direction of the electric field at a point between two opposite charges is in the direction of the line connecting the two charges. This is because the electric field lines always point from positive charges to negative charges.

5. How is the electric field calculated for three charges?

The electric field at a point due to three charges can be calculated using the superposition principle. This means that the electric field at the point is the vector sum of the electric fields created by each individual charge. The formula for calculating the electric field at a point is E = (kQ)/r², where k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge, and r is the distance between the charge and the point.