1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Electric Field to find Mass

1. Jan 18, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In a laboratory, a particle of charge -6C is held stationary because it is placed in an electric field E=(0,0,-15)N/C which suspends it against gravity. What is the mass of the particle? Give answer in kg.

2. Relevant equations
    I THINK
    E= F/q
    F= ma

3. The attempt at a solution
    Ok, so I haven't actually had a chance to attempt this yet because A) I don't understand the notation of E in this equation, so I don't know if it is acceptable to just use -15 for E, and B) if I even have the right equations to use, I don't know what the acceleration is. Please help

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2010 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

It suspends it against gravity, so what is the relationship between the electric force and the mass?

4. Jan 18, 2010 #3
    I don't really get what that means about it though.

5. Jan 19, 2010 #4

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

The only forces acting on the mass are its weight and the electric force. If it is being suspended, what is the resultant force on it?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook