Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Electric field vs. Electric potential

1. Jun 19, 2004 #1
    Hello everyone...I need help to start on a problem which states that V(r) =V(o) r^2/2R^2...I neeed to find E(r) when R and V(o) are constants...so from defention E= dV/Dr??? This is the part I am not sure how to move on..I have to integrate the equation they gave me keeping the V(o) and R as constants?
    Thank you...

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 19, 2004 #2
    [tex]E = \frac{d}{dr}V(r)[/tex]

V(r) is given, so you get

[tex]E = \frac{d}{dr}\left(V_0 \frac{r^2}{2R^2} \right)[/tex]

So what's the problem?

cookiemonster

4. Jun 19, 2004 #3
    The problem is that I have a very bad math backround...I am asking if I have to integrate that? Keeping V(o) and R outside the integral...I have not done integrals yet so I am having trouble with it...I have missed math (meaning didn't study it ) from basically 4th grade to 9th so to catch up on it takes me a while...

5. Jun 19, 2004 #4
    E is defined as the derivative of V. You have V. You'd then have to differentiate V to get E.

There are no integrals involved.

Now, if you had E and you were asked to find V, then you'd have to integrate. But it's the other way around, hence differentiate.

The problem is asking you to evaluate the derivative I described above.

cookiemonster

6. Jun 19, 2004 #5
    thank you :smile:

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook