Electric field vs. Electric potential

In summary, the problem requires finding E(r) when R and V(o) are constants, using the equation E = dV/dr. The given formula for V(r) can be used to substitute into the equation, and no integration is needed. The problem simply asks to evaluate the derivative described.
wave41
Hello everyone...I need help to start on a problem which states that V(r) =V(o) r^2/2R^2...I neeed to find E(r) when R and V(o) are constants...so from defention E= dV/Dr? This is the part I am not sure how to move on..I have to integrate the equation they gave me keeping the V(o) and R as constants?
Thank you...

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]E = \frac{d}{dr}V(r)[/tex]

V(r) is given, so you get

[tex]E = \frac{d}{dr}\left(V_0 \frac{r^2}{2R^2} \right)[/tex]

So what's the problem?

cookiemonster

The problem is that I have a very bad math backround...I am asking if I have to integrate that? Keeping V(o) and R outside the integral...I have not done integrals yet so I am having trouble with it...I have missed math (meaning didn't study it ) from basically 4th grade to 9th so to catch up on it takes me a while...

E is defined as the derivative of V. You have V. You'd then have to differentiate V to get E.

There are no integrals involved.

Now, if you had E and you were asked to find V, then you'd have to integrate. But it's the other way around, hence differentiate.

The problem is asking you to evaluate the derivative I described above.

cookiemonster

thank you :smile:

What is the difference between electric field and electric potential?

Electric field is a physical quantity that describes the strength and direction of the force experienced by a charged particle in an electric field. On the other hand, electric potential is a measure of the electric potential energy per unit charge at a given point in space.

How are electric field and electric potential related?

Electric field and electric potential are related by the formula E = -∇V, where E is the electric field, V is the electric potential, and ∇ is the gradient operator. This means that the electric field is the negative of the change in electric potential with respect to distance.

Can electric field and electric potential be measured directly?

No, electric field and electric potential cannot be measured directly. They are both abstract concepts that are used to describe the behavior of charged particles in an electric field. However, their effects can be measured indirectly through the forces experienced by charged particles.

What is the unit of measurement for electric field and electric potential?

The unit of measurement for electric field is newtons per coulomb (N/C), while the unit for electric potential is volts (V). These units can also be expressed in terms of base SI units, such as kg⋅m⋅s^-3⋅A^-1 for electric field and kg⋅m^2⋅s^-3⋅A^-1 for electric potential.

How can electric field and electric potential be manipulated?

Electric field and electric potential can be manipulated by changing the amount and distribution of electric charge, as well as by altering the distance between charged particles. They can also be affected by the presence of conductive materials and insulators.