1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric field vs. Electric potential

1. Jun 19, 2004 #1
    Hello everyone...I need help to start on a problem which states that V(r) =V(o) r^2/2R^2...I neeed to find E(r) when R and V(o) are constants...so from defention E= dV/Dr??? This is the part I am not sure how to move on..I have to integrate the equation they gave me keeping the V(o) and R as constants?
    Thank you...

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 19, 2004 #2
    [tex]E = \frac{d}{dr}V(r)[/tex]

V(r) is given, so you get

[tex]E = \frac{d}{dr}\left(V_0 \frac{r^2}{2R^2} \right)[/tex]

So what's the problem?

cookiemonster

4. Jun 19, 2004 #3
    The problem is that I have a very bad math backround...I am asking if I have to integrate that? Keeping V(o) and R outside the integral...I have not done integrals yet so I am having trouble with it...I have missed math (meaning didn't study it ) from basically 4th grade to 9th so to catch up on it takes me a while...

5. Jun 19, 2004 #4
    E is defined as the derivative of V. You have V. You'd then have to differentiate V to get E.

There are no integrals involved.

Now, if you had E and you were asked to find V, then you'd have to integrate. But it's the other way around, hence differentiate.

The problem is asking you to evaluate the derivative I described above.

cookiemonster

6. Jun 19, 2004 #5
    thank you :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?