Electric Field: Calculate Electric Field at Centre of Triangle

In summary: E1.In summary, the conversation discussed how to determine the electric field at the center of an equilateral triangle with given charges at each vertex. The individual electric fields were calculated and then vector components were used to find the total electric field at the center. The conversation also touched on the importance of considering the polarity of the charges and ensuring correct units are used for calculations.
jg95ae
I'm not sure if I've done this question correctly:

An equilateral triangle with sides of 15.6 cm, and a charge of +2 uC at one vertex, and charges if -4uC each at the other two. Determine the electric field at the centre of the triangle.

Basically what I've done is figure out the electric charge for each point, and then add them together. I'm not sure if this is even correct, and even if it is I'm not sure I understand why - I'm struggling a bit with the concepts.

E1 = kQ1/r^2 = (9 x 10^9)(0.002)/(0.156)^2 = 7.39 x 10^8 N/C
E2 = - 1.47 x 10^9 N/C
E3 = -1.47 x 10^9 N/c

Adding these three fields I got - 7.31 x 10^8 N/C as the electric field at the centre.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think what you've done it quite correct, because you need the electric field at the centre of the triangle, therefore [itex]r\neq 0.156[/itex]. HINT: It may be easier if you combine the two negative charges into a single charge, i.e. find the centre of charge as you do for the centre of gravity. Then the problem just becomes a simple two charge particles problem.

Do you follow?

~H

Thanks, I realize now that r is definitely not 0.156.

I'm not sure I understand the centre of charge. Does this mean that at the middle the point charge would also be -4uC?
I figured similar to centre of gravity, that 4(0.156)/2(4) = 0.078 m

So at 0.078 m the charge would be -4uC

Based on a right triangle, the total distance from the new point charge to the top of the triangle would be 0.135 m, and therefore the centre would be at 0.0675m.

Now I just added the electric fields:
E = (9 x10^9)(4 x 10-6)/(0.0675)^2 + (9 x10^9)(2 x 10-6)/(0.0675)^2
E = 1.18 x 10^2 N/C

Does this look correct now?

Ahh sorry, I think I've mislead you hear, centre of charge is not applicable. You must take the vector sum of the components, this page is useful http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/mulpoi.html#c2 . As the triangle is equilateral the distance (r) of the centroid of the triangle will be 0.078m. I realized my error this moring, but couldn't get to a computer to check it.

Please accept my apology.

~H

No problem I was thinking that it was all seeming a little too easy.
So I've reworked the problem given the information provided above.

The first thing is that I think that the centre is actually at 6.8cm, based on creating a right angled triangle and finding the height (13.5cm). Therefore the centre would be at half the height = 6.8cm

So based on r = 0.068:
E1 = kQ1/r^2 = (9 x 10^9)(0.002)/(0.068)^2 = 3.89 x 10^6 N/C
E2 = 7.79 x 10^6 N/C
E3 = 7.79 x 10^6 N/C

Then I found E1x, E2x, and E3x using Ecos30
E1x = 3.37x10^6, E2x = 6.75 x 10^6, E3x = 6.75 x 10^6
Adding these together Ex = 1.69 x 10^7

Then E1y, E2y, E3y using Esin30
E1y = 1.95x10^6, E2y = 3.89x 10^6, E3y = 3.89x 10^6
Adding these together Ey = 9.73 x 10^6

Therefore E = sqrt[(1.69 x 10^7)^2 + (9.73 x 10^6)^2]
E = 1.95 x 10^7

First does this like I'm doing it right now? And secondly I have not taken the negative charges into consideration and am wondering if I need to do so?

Thanks

Last edited:
jg95ae said:
First does this like I'm doing it right now? And secondly I have not taken the negative charges into consideration and am wondering if I need to do so?

Your method looks ok, however as you say, you haven't taken into account the polarity of the charges. Note that the electric field of a single point charge is given by;

[tex]E = \frac{kQ}{r^2}[/tex]

All you need to do is make sure you substitute the value in with the positive or negative sign.. For example for one of the negative charges you would use [itex]Q = -4\times 10^{-6}[/itex]. Just one thing I need to check when you write "uC" do you mean "milli" or "micro" coulombs? Milli (m) = [itex]10^{-3}[/itex] and Micro ([itex]\mu[/itex]) = [itex]10^{-6}[/itex].

~H

I did mess up the units.

So now I have:
E1 = kQ1/r^2 = (9 x 10^9)(2 x 10^-6)/(0.068)^2 =1.22 x 10^3 N/C
E2 = -2.45 x 10^3 N/C
E3 = -2.45 x 10^3 N/C

Then
E1x = 1.06 x 10^3, E2x = -2.12 x 10^3, E3x = -2.12 x 10^3
Adding these together Ex = -3.18 x 10^3

Then
E1y = 6.1 x 10^2, E2y = -1.23 x 10^3, E3y = -1.23 x 10^3
Adding these together Ey = -1.85 x 10^3

Therefore E = sqrt[(-3.18 x 10^3)^2 + (-1.85 x 10^3)^2]
E = 3.7 x 10^3

Does this look better now with the charges put in?

Thanks so much for the help

Yeah, that looks good to me (I assume that you've punched the numbers into your calculator correctly:wink:). Don't forget the units of electric field strength, most tutors deduct marks for incorrect or missing units!

Again I apologise for the error at the start (I don't know what I was thinking!)

~H

No problem, thank you for the much needed help!

jg95ae said:
So now I have:
E1 = kQ1/r^2 = (9 x 10^9)(2 x 10^-6)/(0.068)^2 =1.22 x 10^3 N/C

Check you math here. I calculated 3.89 x 10^6 N/C

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a region in which electrically charged particles experience a force. It is created by electrically charged objects and can be visualized as lines of force pointing in the direction of the force on a positive test charge.

2. How is an electric field calculated?

The electric field at a point is calculated by dividing the force on a positive test charge placed at that point by the magnitude of the charge. Mathematically, it can be expressed as E = F/q, where E is the electric field, F is the force, and q is the charge.

3. What is the significance of calculating the electric field at the centre of a triangle?

The centre of a triangle is a point of symmetry, which means that the electric field will have the same magnitude and direction at this point regardless of its location within the triangle. This allows for a simplified calculation of the electric field at the centre, as opposed to calculating it at multiple points within the triangle.

4. What factors affect the electric field at the centre of a triangle?

The electric field at the centre of a triangle is affected by the magnitude and distribution of charges on the triangle's vertices. It is also influenced by the distance between the centre and the vertices, as well as the permittivity of the surrounding medium.

5. Can the electric field at the centre of a triangle be negative?

Yes, the electric field at the centre of a triangle can be negative if the charges on the triangle are arranged in such a way that they produce a net force pointing away from the centre. This can occur when there are more negative charges than positive charges, or if the charges are unevenly distributed.