1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric field

1. Jan 29, 2004 #1
    The problem is:

Prove that the gradient of an electric potential V(r) which depends only on the distance r=(x^2 + y^2 + z^2)^1/2 from the origin has the vlaue gradV(r) = V'(r)r-hat where r-hat := r/r is a unit vector in the direction of r, and V'(r) := dV(r)/dr. Use this to evaluate the electric field E= -gradV(r) for the Coulomb potential
    V(r)= kq/r from a point charge +q, where k=1/(4*pi*E0)

E0 stands for epsilon.

My question is:

I proved that gradV(r) = V'(r)r-hat. How do I evaluate the electric field for the Coloumb potential? Would I take the gradient of V(r)=kq/r? I don't get what I need to do.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2004 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Yes.

4. Jan 29, 2004 #3
    does this look right?

This is the answer i got:

kq*(x^2+y^2+z^2)^1/2 /(xi+yj+zk)

5. Jan 29, 2004 #4

Doc Al

Re: does this look right?

Check your work. Your answer must be equivalent to:
    [tex]\frac{kq}{r^2}\hat{r}[/tex]

6. Jan 29, 2004 #5
    i tried it again

this time i got, -kq(xi+yj+zk)/(r^5)

7. Jan 30, 2004 #6

Doc Al

I'm not sure what you're doing, but keep trying. You're probably making some simple error. Here's how I did it:

If you use spherical coordinates, the gradient is trivial to calculate. By symmetry, the gradient must be along the [itex]\hat{r}[/itex] direction. So E = -grad(V)= -kq(∂/∂r)(1/r), which gives [itex]\frac{kq}{r^2}\hat{r}[/itex].

If you wish to use cartesian coordinates, no problem:
    [tex]V = \frac{kq}{(x^2 + y^2 + z^2)^\frac{1}{2}}[/tex]
    so, -grad(V) =
    [tex]\frac{kq}{(x^2 + y^2 + z^2)^\frac{3}{2}}(x\hat{i}+y\hat{j}+z\hat{k}) = \frac{kq}{r^2}\hat{r}[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?