1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Field

1. Feb 22, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The Electric field between a cloud and the ground is 1.0X10^6 N/C. If 35C of charge is transfered to the ground (lightning bolt) over a distance of 2.3km, what is the voltage of the cloud.

2. Relevant equations

q=mg/E?

3. The attempt at a solution

I dont have the best high school physics teacher. He doesnt just do the problem, he makes us actually have to think on our own which is amazingly hard. I dont know where to start on this. Help if you have time to waste or procrastinating.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2007 #2

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It sounds like your high school physics teacher is better than most. :wink:

"GASP! Heaven forbid we should actually have to think for ourselves." :rofl:

Let me ask you something. Do you really think you learn something by watching him go nuts on the blackboard and solve problems for you, and then applying canned formulae to solve the same kinds of problems yourselves without understanding the meaning behind any of it? Compare that to thinking about how to tackle a problem on your own based on your knowledge of the underlying princples.

Think...what is an electric field? What is another way of expressing its units? What is potential difference (or voltage), and how is it related to the electric field? What, ultimately is causing the electric field/voltage? Is it the buildup of electrostatic charge? If so, what happens if that buildup is reduced?

4. Feb 23, 2007 #3
    q=mg/E, what? I think you made this up.

You are going to have to do some work on your own for us to start helping you. Even if you don't want to try, you have to at least attempt to start somewhere.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?