Electric Field Homework: Electron Motion in a Vertical Field

In summary, the Electric Field Homework on Electron Motion in a Vertical Field involves analyzing the motion of an electron in a vertical electric field. This includes calculating the force on the electron, its acceleration, and the resulting trajectory. The homework also covers how the electric field affects the energy and velocity of the electron, as well as the concept of equipotential lines and how they relate to the electric field. Overall, the homework is an important exercise in understanding the principles of electric fields and their impact on charged particles.
JWHooper

Homework Statement

An electron has a mass of 9.11 x 10^(-31) kg. Its charge is -1.6 x 10^(-19) C. Suppose it is given a initial horizontal velocity of 8.0 x 10^7 m/s. It then travels through a vertical (upward pointing) electric field with a constant strength of 2.0 x 10^4 N/C. In a time T it has a horizontal displacement of 10 cm.
(a) How much force acts on the electron? In which direction is the force?
(b) What is the acceleration of the electron?
(c) What will ber the horizontal velocity of the electron at the end of time T?
(d) What will be the vertical velocity of the electron at the end of time T?
(e) At the end of time t, what angle will the electron's velocity make with its initial velocity?
(f) What will be the vertical displacement of the electron during time T?

Homework Equations

E = F_q / q = kQ / d^2
F = kq_1q_2 / d^2
x(t) = v_0t + 1/2at^2

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) Since E = F_q / q, this can arrange to F_q = Eq = (2.0 x 10^4 N/C, upward)(-1.6 x 10^(-19)) = 3.2 x 10^(-15) N, downward.
(b) Since v(t) = 8.0 x 10^7 m/s, v'(t) = a(t) = 0 m/s^2.
(c) Since x'(t) = v(t) = v_0 + at, v(T) = 8.0 x 10^7 m/s, right + (0 m/s^2)T = 8.0 x 10^7 m/s, right.
(d) Since no velocity is given in the problem, 0 m/s.

The last two questions are that I don't get. Please help!

Thanks,

J.

Physics news on Phys.org
JWHooper said:
(a) Since E = F_q / q, this can arrange to F_q = Eq = (2.0 x 10^4 N/C, upward)(-1.6 x 10^(-19)) = 3.2 x 10^(-15) N, downward.
Good.
(b) Since v(t) = 8.0 x 10^7 m/s, v'(t) = a(t) = 0 m/s^2.
Since there's a force on the electron, it had better have an acceleration. Use Newton's 2nd law.
(c) Since x'(t) = v(t) = v_0 + at, v(T) = 8.0 x 10^7 m/s, right + (0 m/s^2)T = 8.0 x 10^7 m/s, right.
OK
(d) Since no velocity is given in the problem, 0 m/s.
You'll need to calculate it based on the acceleration. (You know the initial velocity.)

For part (b), i got a = F/m = 3.51 x 10^15 m/s^2, downward.

Using this, for part (d), use the equation x'(t) = v(t) = v_0 + at =
v_0 + (3.51 x 10^15 m/s^2, downward)(t), but I can't figure out the initial velocity for vertical motion (although v_0 for horizontal motion is 8.0 x 10^7 m/s). Please help!

j.

JWHooper said:
For part (b), i got a = F/m = 3.51 x 10^15 m/s^2, downward.
Good.
Using this, for part (d), use the equation x'(t) = v(t) = v_0 + at =
v_0 + (3.51 x 10^15 m/s^2, downward)(t), but I can't figure out the initial velocity for vertical motion (although v_0 for horizontal motion is 8.0 x 10^7 m/s).
The initial velocity is purely horizontal. So what must be the vertical component?

Doc Al said:
The initial velocity is purely horizontal. So what must be the vertical component?
Since it's purely horizontal, I will assume that the electron's vertical component is
0 m/s. Then, we get v(t) = v(T) = (3.51 x 10^15 m/s^2, downward)(T). Did I do this part right?

Right!

Oh okay. Thanks for the help!

Btw, it would really help me if you give me tips on parts (e) and (f).

Hint for (e): To find the angle of any vector, start by finding its components.

Hint for (f): This is a kinematics problem for accelerated motion, very similar to finding how far a ball would fall in a given time. Of course, here the acceleration is due to the electric force not gravity.

For part (e), since at end of time T, the horizontal velocity of the electron is
8.0 x 10^7 m/s right, and vertical velocity is (3.51 x 10^15 m/s^2, downward)(T), we use some trigonometry to find angle (use tan(x), where x is the angle).
tan(x) = (3.51 x 10^15 m/s^2)(T) / (8.0 x 10^7 m/s)
= (4.39 x 10^7 1/s)(T)
x = tan^-1(4.39 x 10^7 1/s)(T).
I don't know if I did it right; If I did it wrong, let me know.

For part (f), use antiderivative for velocity to get position function.
Integral of velocity = (1.76 x 10^15 m/s^2, downward)(t^2) = function of position = x(t)
Plug in t = T,
x(T) = (1.76 x 10^15 m/s^2, downward)(T^2).
I don't know if I did this part right either, but please let me know if I did some wrong calculation.

Realize that the time "T" is not an unknown--it's the time it takes the electron to travel 10 cm horizontally. So find that time!

In part (d) and the following, be sure to use the actual value for the time to get your final answers.

JWHooper said:
For part (e), since at end of time T, the horizontal velocity of the electron is
8.0 x 10^7 m/s right, and vertical velocity is (3.51 x 10^15 m/s^2, downward)(T), we use some trigonometry to find angle (use tan(x), where x is the angle).
tan(x) = (3.51 x 10^15 m/s^2)(T) / (8.0 x 10^7 m/s)
= (4.39 x 10^7 1/s)(T)
x = tan^-1(4.39 x 10^7 1/s)(T).
I don't know if I did it right; If I did it wrong, let me know.
Looks good to me. That will be the angle below the horizontal. Be sure to plug in the time (after you figure it out) to get an actual angle.

For part (f), use antiderivative for velocity to get position function.
Integral of velocity = (1.76 x 10^15 m/s^2, downward)(t^2) = function of position = x(t)
Plug in t = T,
x(T) = (1.76 x 10^15 m/s^2, downward)(T^2).
I don't know if I did this part right either, but please let me know if I did some wrong calculation.
Good. You could also have just used the kinematic equation that you listed in your first post:
x(t) = v_0t + 1/2at^2

Again, get an actual distance by using the actual time.

Since the initial horizontal velocity is 8.0 x 10^7 m/s, we can convert 10 cm of horizontal displacement to meters.
(10cm)(1m / 100cm) = 0.1m
Now, divide displacement by velocity and get the time T,
T= d/v = (0.1m)/(8.0 x 10^7 m/s) = 1.25 x 10^9 s .
Hence, we have the time value.

I will assume that my calculations are correct, but just in case, I want you to check my calculation if I did any errors.

JWHooper said:
T= d/v = (0.1m)/(8.0 x 10^7 m/s) = 1.25 x 10^9 s .
Your method is correct, but that exponent should be minus 9.

Doc Al said:
Your method is correct, but that exponent should be minus 9.
Oh okay.
Thank you for helping me with the homework!

J.

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a region in which electrically charged particles experience a force. It is created by a source charge and can be either positive or negative.

2. How is the motion of an electron affected by an electric field?

An electron in an electric field experiences a force, causing it to accelerate in the direction of the field if it is negatively charged or in the opposite direction if it is positively charged. This acceleration causes the electron to move along a curved path.

3. What happens to the speed of an electron in an electric field?

The speed of an electron in an electric field can change depending on the strength and direction of the field. If the field is constant, the speed of the electron will increase or decrease in a linear manner. However, if the field is changing, the speed of the electron will also change non-linearly.

4. How does the direction of the electric field affect the motion of an electron?

The direction of the electric field is crucial in determining the direction of the force on an electron and, therefore, its motion. If the field is perpendicular to the electron's initial velocity, it will experience a centripetal force and move in a circular path. If the field is parallel to the initial velocity, the electron will experience a force in the same direction and accelerate in a straight line.

5. Can the electric field affect the path of an electron in a vacuum?

Yes, an electric field can affect the path of an electron in a vacuum. This is because the electric field can still exert a force on the charged particle, causing it to accelerate. In a vacuum, there are no other forces acting on the electron, so its motion will solely be determined by the electric field.