1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Field

1. Nov 12, 2008 #1
    For question 5, i understand everything unti part "f" what is the net electric field due to the central point charge plus the inner point surface charge.

I understand the Field inside the conductor is zero, due to it being neutral,
    The iner surface has a negative charge due to the positive center charge
    The outer surface has a net positive charge since remaining charges are on the surface

What im stuck with is why there is no field what is the net electric field due to the central point charge plus the inner point surface charge. The inside "center charge" is positive and interior surface is negative, field going from positive to negative???? thus shouldnt there be a field?

On our answer for part "e" we drew in a field thus why in "f" isnt ther one?
    Little confussed, now these answers are from current tutes, from out tutor now some have been wrong he hasnt updated them, he has mentioned them in class but i dont have any noters for this particular one so im unsure

Question
    [​IMG]
    Answers
    [​IMG]
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2008 #2

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Keep in mind that (f) is not asking you for the actual field, which you're correct is nonzero for r>b.

The question asks for the net contribution to the field due to some (but not all) of the charges that are present. So the answer is different than the actual field that is there.

4. Nov 12, 2008 #3
    lolz

Im a fool new it would be something stupid like that

Thank for pointing it out

Cheers Trent

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?