Finding Electric Field at Point x Away from Origin

In summary, the conversation is about finding the electric field at a point p distance x away from the origin. The formula E = kq/r^2 is mentioned and it is suggested to use the Pythagorean theorem to find the distance. The importance of using trigonometry is also mentioned, as well as the idea of symmetry in the calculation.
musicfairy
Efield.jpg

How do I find the electric field at a point p distance x away from the origin?

I guess the y component cancels. I should use the equation E = kq/r2 and add the electric field made by the 3 charges as vectors, but how do I do that?

My attempt:

r = x/√(x2 + a2)

cosθ = x/r

Ex = 2kqx/√(x2 + a2)3/2 − kq/x2

Is this correct? I don't really understand the concepts well so if someone can explain that to me it'll be nice.

Physics news on Phys.org
r = x/√(x2 + a2) can't be right - the dimensions aren't right; right side has distance over distance. Just use the Pythagorean theorem to find the distance.

Find the horizontal part of E = kq/r^2 using trigonometry.

Oops, I made a typo on that. I meant to say that r = = √(x2 + a2)

Good show. Put in the trigonometry and you will be nearly finished.
Clever of you to notice that symmetry means you don't have to do the vertical part of the calculation.

1. What is the formula for finding electric field at a point x away from the origin?

The formula for finding electric field at a point x away from the origin is E = kQ/x^2, where E is the electric field strength, k is Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge of the source, and x is the distance from the origin.

2. How does the distance from the origin affect the electric field at a point x away?

The electric field strength decreases as the distance from the origin increases. This is because the electric field spreads out as it moves away from the source, resulting in a decrease in strength at farther distances.

3. Can the electric field at a point x away from the origin be negative?

Yes, the electric field at a point x away from the origin can be negative. This indicates that the electric field is directed in the opposite direction of the positive charge source.

4. How does the charge of the source affect the electric field at a point x away from the origin?

The electric field strength is directly proportional to the charge of the source. This means that as the charge of the source increases, the electric field strength at a point x away from the origin also increases.

5. What are the units for electric field when finding it at a point x away from the origin?

The units for electric field are N/C (newtons per coulomb) when finding it at a point x away from the origin. This represents the force per unit charge at a given point in space.