1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric field

1. Jan 19, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the electric field at position (2.00, 0)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I am just confused by the question actually, does it mean at point 2 m to the right of 0,0? or is it to the left?

The way I would solve this problem is by finding the electric field that each charges made 2 m from the point, for example the -.4nC, we can find the electric field at 2.00 by ke * -.4nC/2.5^2, and as well for the others and sum them all together, am I right?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2009 #2

Homework Helper

Yes. The way I read the diagram, the 5nC is at the origin and they are asking for the point 1.2 m to the right of the 3nC charge.

Yes. Superposition is right. The distances for each (left to right) to be clear would be 2.5, 2, 1.2 .
    Mind your signs.
  4. Jan 20, 2009 #3
    so basically it's just ke * -.4nC/2.5^2 + ke * 5nC/2^2 + ke * 3nC/1.2^2
  5. Jan 20, 2009 #4

Homework Helper

That's what it looks like to me.
  6. Jan 20, 2009 #5
    What if the question now is (0, 2.00) instead of (2.00,0)?
  7. Jan 20, 2009 #6

Homework Helper

That would mean apparently it was on the y axis. In which case get out your Pythagoras.
  8. Jan 20, 2009 #7
    I use the pythagorean theory to find the distance from the -4 and 3 charhea to the point (0, 2.00) only right?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?