Calculating Electric Field E^pho in Cylindrical Coordinates

In summary, the conversation discussed finding the Electric Field E(X) in cylindrical coordinates, specifically when pho = pho(r). The suggestion was made to use Greens & Gauss theorems and it was asked if the field was already known in cartesian coordinates. The reference to a lecture PDF was also mentioned. The questioner expressed difficulty in understanding the lecturer's instructions.
MidnightR
How would I go about working out the Electric Field E(X) in cylindrical coordinates? The question is,

Suppose pho = pho(r) find E^pho. Suggestion to use Greens & Gauss theorem

Physics news on Phys.org
so you already have the field in cartesian coords?

lanedance said:
so you already have the field in cartesian coords?

http://www.phys.ufl.edu/~dorsey/phy6346-00/lectures/lect01.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
use your words midnight, you can do it...

what ideas do you have?

MidnightR said:
Suppose pho = pho(r) find E^pho.m

by the way what do you mean by this?

lanedance said:
by the way what do you mean by this?

This is my biggest problem, trying to figure out what the hell my lecturer means :S I mean I assume he wants us to find it in cylindrical coords by the diagram & reference to r^2 = x^2 + y^2...

1. How do you calculate the electric field E^pho in cylindrical coordinates?

To calculate the electric field E^pho in cylindrical coordinates, you can use the formula E^pho = (1/r) * ∂φ/∂z , where r is the distance from the point of interest to the z-axis and φ is the angle measured from the x-axis to the point.

2. What are the units for electric field E^pho in cylindrical coordinates?

The units for electric field E^pho in cylindrical coordinates are volts per meter (V/m).

3. Can the electric field E^pho be negative in cylindrical coordinates?

Yes, the electric field E^pho can be negative in cylindrical coordinates. A negative value indicates that the direction of the electric field is in the opposite direction of the positive axis.

4. How do you convert from Cartesian coordinates to cylindrical coordinates?

To convert from Cartesian coordinates (x,y,z) to cylindrical coordinates (r,φ,z), you can use the following formulas: r = √(x^2 + y^2), φ = arctan(y/x), and z = z.

5. What are some real-world applications of calculating electric field E^pho in cylindrical coordinates?

Calculating the electric field E^pho in cylindrical coordinates can be used in various real-world applications such as analyzing the electric field around a cylindrical object, designing cylindrical capacitors, and determining the electric field in a cylindrical wire carrying current.