1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric field

1. Oct 24, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A point charge of -2 micro coulomb is located at the origin ,a second charge point of 6 micro coulomb is at x= 1m and y= 0.5 m
    Find the x and y coordinates of the position where the electric field is zero

2. Relevant equations
    E=κq/ r^2 multiplied by unit vector

3. The attempt at a solution
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2012 #2
    You need to show us you've at least tried to solve it!

4. Oct 24, 2012 #3
    I supposed that there is another point (p) where the electric field is zero
    E1+E2=0
    E1= kq1/r1^2 *unit vector
    E2 = kq2/r2^2 * unit vector then tried to solve them but there is many unknown

5. Oct 24, 2012 #4
    There's something else you can say about the point where the field is zero. It must be somewhere on a straight line between the two charges.
    So how can you work out exactly where? (The field from each charge falls off as the square of the distance.)

Make a diagram. Draw the two charges, then draw a line between them. Mark a point on that line and call it the zero point. At that point, the field from each charge will be exactly equal and opposite so you can use the 1/r2 law to work out where it is.
    After that it's just a bit of Pythagoras to work out the co-ordinates.

6. Oct 24, 2012 #5
    How can I use the inverse law if I don't have the distance of both

7. Oct 24, 2012 #6
    Call the distance from the point to the first charge R1, call the distance to the second R2.
    Then R1 + R2 is the total distance between the charges and 2/R12 = 6/R22 from the inverse square law.
    Two equations, two unknowns so you have a pair of simultaneous equations to work out what R1 and R2 must be.

8. Oct 24, 2012 #7
    Ok now Ive got the distanace now i need the x and y coordinates

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook