1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric field

1. Apr 9, 2005 #1
    I have to find the electric field everywhere using Gauss’ law in differential form. Charge density is [tex]\rho = \rho_{0}r^{3}[/tex] for a<r<b and 0 otherwise in spherical symmetry and then in cylindrical coordinates

[tex] \nabla \cdot D=\rho [/tex]
    I have look for D and then just get E = D/epsilon. D is where I need help. Thanks
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2005 #2
    Well, just apply Gauss' law on a sphere and on a cilinder. this should not be that difficult. You don't need this D. You will only need to be careful when the radial coordinate r is inside the sphere or cilinder. However, you have been given a charge density, so that is no problem.

What have you done so far ?

Just as an example : Suppose you have a sphere of radius a in which there is an uniform chargedensity. The total charge Q is then equal to [tex]\frac{4 \pi a^3}{3} \rho[/tex] Then Gauss's law says : [tex]E 4 \pi r^2 = \epsilon_0 Q[/tex]

This yields the electric field at distance r from the center of the sphere. Keep in mind that r must be BIGGER then a in this case
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2005
  4. Apr 9, 2005 #3
    So for [tex]0\leq r\leq a[/tex] Qencl=0

for [tex]a < r \leq b[/tex]

Qencl = [tex]\int_{a}^{r} \rho dv[/tex]

for r>b
    Qencl = [tex]\int_{a}^{b} \rho dv [/tex]
    and I just have to solve that,
    Is this ok?

so for cylindrical I have to used 2pi*r*L
  5. Apr 9, 2005 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's [tex]E 4 \pi r^2 =~electric~flux~=~EA= \frac{q}{\epsilon_0}[/tex]

I'm sure you can take it from here
  6. Apr 9, 2005 #5
    To get E I just have to solve Q and substitute to the equation.
    But isn't D = epsilon*E and I can get E from that
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?