1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Field

1. Jun 18, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider a straight line segment of 3L and with a linear charge density λ. Determine the electric field, E, of at point P, which is a point within the segment and along the axis. (figure attached)

2. Relevant equations
    dE=kdQ/r^2

3. The attempt at a solution
    I attempted solving it but I am stuck at the integration part because i don't know from and up to where to integrate it.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 18, 2017 #2

scottdave

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I have some trouble matching your picture to the wording in the problem statement. The wording suggests that the point P lies "within" the 3L segment (distance L from the end perhaps?). The picture shows point P at the end of the 3L segment, then another segment L adjacent to that.
    As far as your integration, note that your charge density lambda, is actually dQ/dL, with dL representing "delta Length". So you could say that dQ = (lambda)*dL and integrate lengths. Note that the distance r is also a length from the charge to a point. Take care to note how charges on opposite sides of the point will interact to form the resulting electric field (which is a vector).

4. Jun 18, 2017 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I advise against such a notation. L is related to the overall length, a constant. An infinitesimal should represent a small change in a variable. Let x be the distance from one end of an element length dx, etc.

@phy6, if you follow the obvious path you will get two improper integrals that do not converge. Think how you might cancel out the infinities by practical considerations first.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted