1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric fields 2

1. Jul 4, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A point charge +Q is placed at one of the corners of a cube as shown in the figure.The electric flux through the surface ABCD of the cube due to the charge is
    (1) Q (or Q/[tex]\epsilon_{0}[/tex])
    (2) Q/4 (or Q/4[tex]\epsilon_{0}[/tex])
    (3) Q/6 (or Q/6[tex]\epsilon_{0}[/tex])
    (4) Q/24 (or Q/24[tex]\epsilon_{0}[/tex])
    (5) Q/36 (or Q/36[tex]\epsilon_{0}[/tex])

2. Relevant equations

Electric field intensity E=(1/4[tex]\pi[/tex][tex]\epsilon_{0})[/tex]Q/x2

3. The attempt at a solution

I really don't know how to do this.I only know the above equation,but I don't know how to apply it here.
    I think a -Q charge would be induced at A,a +Q charge at B,a - Q charge at C and a +Q charge at D,but where do I go from here?

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 4, 2009 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

I can't see the picture, but if the charge is right at the corner, then the total flux of the E-Field will be cut into what ... 8 equal pieces? (Think of stacking 8 cubes with the point charge at the common vertex.)

Now since from Gauss Law you know the total charge of an enclosed surface is Q/εo, then you know that since the cubes are all the same, that 1/8 of the entire field is passing through each cube.

But think about it for a moment and you will see that each cube has 3 external faces (faces opposite the vertex with the charge) and since each face is identical then the flux through any one of them is ...

4. Jul 4, 2009 #3
    I don't know.
    Could you please tell me how you derived this?
    I know that,according to Gauss' theorem, the total normal electric flux intersecting a closed surface,of any shape,enclosing a charge Q=Q,
    i.e,
    A[tex]\epsilon_{0}E[/tex] = Q
    A is the area enclosed by a charge Q placed at the centre.

I don't undrestand this part,how does the total electric flux divide into 8?

This is the picture,
    http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/2296/chargen.png [Broken]

THANK YOU.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  5. Jul 4, 2009 #4

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Imagine 7 other identical cubes arranged all together in a 2 X 2 X 2.

The center vertex will have the charge. (The central vertex is the only spot that all 8 cubes would have in common.) This is where the charge is on your one cube. At a corner.

Since by Gauss Law you know that all the flux through the surface of the 2x2x2 arrangement is Q/εo, then the total of the flux escaping the outward faces of the one cube must be 1/8th of the total.

But they want the flux through just 1 face. A cube has 6 faces. But in the 2x2x2 arrangement you should satisfy yourself that only 3 of the faces are on the outside. Hence the flux through any one face must be 1/3 of what passes out of that cube.

Here's a link for Gauss Law:
    http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/gaulaw.html#c1

6. Jul 4, 2009 #5
    Thank you so much for the detailed explanation.
    so the the electric flux through the face ABCD,would be,
    [1/(8*3)] Q/[tex]\epsilon_{0}[/tex],which would be answer no. (4).

7. Jul 4, 2009 #6

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Yes. That looks like the answer.

But the understanding is worth much more than just the right answer.

Good Luck.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook