How Does Gauss' Law Apply to Currents in Electric Fields and Circuitry?

This charge is not enclosed by any surface or any "loop" as the net charge is zero. The charge that is enclosed by the loop is zero. In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Gauss' Law and the relationship between electric potential and electric field. It is mentioned that the units of electric field and potential are different and that the current of a circuit is not the same as the charge enclosed by a surface. The conversation also mentions the possibility of using integrals in calculations and the need for more details about the specific geometry being discussed.
Brendan Graham
I am designing a device, which will utilize an electric field. The question I have run into is whether or not the current is treated as the charge enclosed for Gauss' Law, or if there's another way I would calculate it. Also, am I correct that the voltage of the circuit would be different than the electric potential of the electric field I am trying to create? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Brendan Graham said:
I am designing a device, which will utilize an electric field. The question I have run into is whether or not the current is treated as the charge enclosed for Gauss' Law, or if there's another way I would calculate it. Also, am I correct that the voltage of the circuit would be different than the electric potential of the electric field I am trying to create? Thanks!
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

It's a bit hard to answer your questions without seeing the geometry of what you are designing, but yes, Gauss' Law for electric fields does involve the total charge enclosed by the surface. The electric field and the potential are related by the distance of the separation of the charges. Just remember that the units of the electric field are V/m (Volts per meter), and the units of the potential are V (Volts).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gauss'_law

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

It's a bit hard to answer your questions without seeing the geometry of what you are designing, but yes, Gauss' Law for electric fields does involve the total charge enclosed by the surface. The electric field and the potential are related by the distance of the separation of the charges. Just remember that the units of the electric field are V/m (Volts per meter), and the units of the potential are V (Volts).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gauss'_law

Hi, thanks for the help. This doesn't exactly answer my question. I am trying to understand if the current of the circuit would be the same as the charge enclosed.

Brendan Graham said:
Hi, thanks for the help. This doesn't exactly answer my question. I am trying to understand if the current of the circuit would be the same as the charge enclosed.
Depends. If the charge enclosed is not moving, then no. If the charge enclosed is moving through the surface, then maybe.

Can you offer some more details about your geometry? Or a similar geometry that we can use to talk through the details of how to do the calculations?

BTW, what is your background? Have you had integral calculus yet? Basic E&M class? If the geometry is not real simple, some integrals will likely be involved in the calculations...

Last edited:
Brendan Graham said:

A current is not a charge, so your question really makes no sense. A further problem is that currents go through loops, but you need a surface to enclose a charge, so it isn't clear what you mean by "the charge enclosed".

Of course in many circuits there are charges present (circuits with capacitors), and they are often related to the currents in the circuits, but there is no way of saying any more about this without specifying what circuit you're thinking about.

Likes berkeman
Brendan Graham said:
whether or not the current is treated as the charge enclosed for Gauss' Law
No. Current and charge are different things and cannot be substituted for each other.

A current-carrying wire is normally electrically neutral. It has equal amounts of (stationary) positive and (moving) negative charge.

What is an electric field?

An electric field is a region surrounding an electric charge where other charges experience a force. It is described as a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

How are electric fields created?

Electric fields are created by charged particles. When a charged particle is placed in space, it creates an electric field around it. The strength of the electric field depends on the magnitude of the charge and the distance from the charge.

What is the difference between an electric field and an electric circuit?

An electric field is a physical phenomenon that exists in space, while an electric circuit is a closed loop or pathway through which electric current can flow. Electric fields are created by charged particles, while electric circuits are made up of components such as wires, batteries, and resistors.

What is the purpose of circuitry?

The purpose of circuitry is to control the flow of electric current. Components such as resistors, capacitors, and transistors are used in circuits to manipulate the amount of current and voltage in a system, allowing for the creation of devices such as computers, smartphones, and power systems.

How does electricity flow in a circuit?

Electricity flows in a circuit from the negative terminal of a power source, through the circuit components, and back to the positive terminal of the power source. This flow of electricity is driven by the electric field created by the voltage difference between the two terminals.