1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Fields and Currents

1. Feb 14, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

More of a general question:
    I have a situation where I have a conductor at eight volts and a conductor with zero volts. Just because there is an electric field, does that mean there is an electric current present in the system? And what is the direction?

2. Relevant equations

None

3. The attempt at a solution

We just got introduced to this and I can't seem to find a reasoning. In my mind, I believe that there most likely must be a current, but I'm so green at this that I'm not sure.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 14, 2008 #2
    Well, if you connect them there would be a current. If the condctors were connected to a voltage source, such as a battery, the current would continue to flow. If you connect them with a resistance Ohms law will tell you how big the current is.
    If the conductors would be just 2 pieces of wire lying on a table there would only be current for a very short time if you connected them until their potentials became the same.

4. Feb 14, 2008 #3
    Okay, we have a set-up similar to this

http://www.sm.luth.se/~urban/master/Theory/image122.gif

only, instead of the negative charge, we have no voltage there. Is there for sure a current if this electric field exists?

5. Feb 14, 2008 #4
    Since nothing connects the charges there will be no current

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?