Electric fields and electrostatic forces

In summary, the problem involves calculating the magnitude of an unknown charge at x=0 cm, which causes the total electric field at 11.917 cm to be zero. Using the equation E = \frac{kq}{r^2} and considering the two charges present (one unknown and one negative), the unknown charge is found to be 1.54e-5 C. However, it is recommended to wait for additional responses before confirming the accuracy of this calculation.
InfinitiMike069
Electric fields and electrostatic forces (1 question)

I was wondering if someone can show me how to answer this problem. Thank you.

1)Two charges are placed on the x-axis, an unknown positive charge at x=0 cm and a negative 8.642e-6 C charge at 2.993 cm from the origin. Calculate the magnitude of the charge at x=0 cm which causes the total electric field at 11.917 cm to be zero.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Show us what you did then I'm sure you'll get plenty of help!

Electric field,[tex] E = \frac{kq}{r^2}[/tex]
Since you have two particles with charges, let's call the unknown charge q1, and the known charge q2, where

Since E = 0, [tex] \frac{kq_1}{r^2} + \frac{kq_2}{r^2} = 0[/tex], where r is the distance from the charge to the point of zero electric field. Therefore...
For the first charge its .11917m away, and for the second charge its .11917m - .02993m = .08924m.

[tex]\frac{kq_1}{.11917^2} + \frac{k*-8.642e-6}{.08924^2} = 0[/tex]

The k's cancel, and therefore q1 = 1.54e-5 C.

I'm not 100% sure if I did this right, so wait for more responses before taking my word for it. :smile:

Last edited:
Conceptually it is correct although I haven't done the calculation so...

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a force field that surrounds an electrically charged object. It is created by the interaction of electric charges and can exert a force on other charged objects within its range.

2. How is an electric field measured?

The strength of an electric field is measured in units of volts per meter (V/m). This is the amount of force that a unit charge would experience if placed in the field. Electric field strength can be calculated using Coulomb's law, which takes into account the distance between the charged objects and the magnitude of their charges.

3. What is electrostatic force?

Electrostatic force is the force of attraction or repulsion between two electrically charged objects. It is caused by the interaction of electric fields and is governed by Coulomb's law.

4. How do electric fields affect objects?

Electric fields can affect objects in various ways. If an object is charged, it will experience a force in the direction of the electric field. If an object is not charged, it will experience a force if it has an uneven distribution of charge, causing it to become polarized. Additionally, electric fields can cause objects to conduct electricity or generate electromagnetic waves.

5. What is the difference between electric fields and magnetic fields?

Electric fields are caused by electric charges, while magnetic fields are caused by moving electric charges or magnets. Electric fields exert forces on other charged objects, while magnetic fields exert forces on moving charged objects. Additionally, electric fields are present around stationary objects, while magnetic fields are only present around moving objects.