1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Fields and Final Velocity of point particle question? Electric Fields and F

1. Feb 10, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A fixed charge Q= +3.65 µC is held fixed at the origin of an xy plane. A second charge q= +5.11 µC is released from rest at the xy coordinate of (+1.15 m, +0.810 m).

a) (a) If the mass of q is 2.90 g, what is its speed when it moves infinitely far from the origin?

(b) At what distance from the origin does q attain half the speed it will have at infinity*?
    (*Please note where most of the energy exchange occurs!)

--------

2. Relevant equations

Ei=Ef
    KQq/r=Fe=qV
    1/2mv^2

3. The attempt at a solution

I solved for a) and got 9.07202 m/s
    Can't seem to figure out way to do b. Initially I just took 1/2 the velocity I got in a), plugged it into the equation KQq/r=1/2mv^2 to solve for a n R, but that's wrong. Any help is appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2012 #2
    Re: Electric Fields and Final Velocity of point particle question? Electric Fields an

What did you get?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?