Electric fields and ice

• Thread starter cippy31
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hi guys, brand-new simpleton here.
Quick question: would it be possible to stop ice formation on a cold surface with an electromagnetic field? How strong should it be (if possible)?
Thank you!

Answers and Replies

Time varying EM fields that is an EM Wave definitely would melt ice, as it produces heat. I am not sure about static Electric or Magnetic Field.

You mean kinda like a microwave oven? Hmmmm...yes, that might work.
Thank you!

So did you get what you were looking for? As i don't think i have answered it completely. Even the question seems incomplete to me. It doesn't have relevant data.

I think so, but if you or someone else wants to intervene some more I certainly dont mind.
Actually I was trying to understand if the concept at large was feasible or not, theoretically speaking.

I think so, but if you or someone else wants to intervene some more I certainly dont mind.
Actually I was trying to understand if the concept at large was feasible or not, theoretically speaking.
Okay, as i read the question again it seems to be more related to 'MATERIAL SCIENCE'. As i am an Electrical engineering student i don't study much of Material Science. But i am sure there are many people here at PF who are good at it. And they would help you understand this if you ask the right question. I mean the question you asked is incomplete. Still i will try to answer this and i would appreciate if someone expert in Material science corrects me.

Electrically Ice is non conducting Dielectric material.
Magnetically it is Diamagnetic.

How i think Electromagnetic field will effect ice?

1) Time varying EM Fields, the simplest example is sun light, it would definitely effect the temperature of ICE as i told you earlier.

2) Static Electric Field: It would effect it effect it as it affects a dielectric material. It will polarize it. Whether it will raise the temperature or not? I haven't studied it. But i think it will, because as we increase the strength of Electric Field the the polarisation will increase and this can effect the melting/boiling point of water

3) Static Magnetic Field: A diamagnetic material isn't affected by Magnetic Filed. So i dont think it would affect temperature.

I have just said things which i can remember from my first year and high school. Sorry i cant help further.