1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric fields at points?

1. Jan 20, 2007 #1
    Hi,

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

You've hung two very large sheets of plastic facing each other with distance d between them, as shown in Figure P26.50 ( http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q208/infinitbelt/p26-50-1.gif... ). By rubbing them with wool and silk, you've managed to give one sheet a uniform surface charge density n1 = -4(n0) and the other a uniform surface charge density n2 = 5(n0). What is the electric field vector at points 1, 2, and 3?

2. The attempt at a solution

I drew the force diagrams for the three points but that is where I think I am making my mistake. For example, for point 1, I have a force going to the left from the positive plate and a force going to the right from the negative plate. The difference I get is 1(n0), but that is wrong. Any ideas?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2007 #2
    Any ideas?

Thanks!

4. Jan 21, 2007 #3

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Use the expression (probably in your book?) for the electric field from a uniformly charged sheet. The field at each point is a superposition (sum) of the fields from the two sheets.

For my own clarification; is "n0" a given surface charge density?

5. Jan 21, 2007 #4

There is no numerical value given to "n0" in the problem. It is like -4x and 5x.

Thank you for the help!

6. Jan 22, 2007 #5

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ok, then the answer will appear as a factor of the electric field from n0.

7. Jan 22, 2007 #6
    What is the expression for the electric field due to the rectangular sheet?

In my book it is not present. I tried doing the derivation but the integral that I come up with when dividing the sheet into rods doesn't look nice to do. Could you do me the favor and show the expression? Thank you.

8. Jan 22, 2007 #7

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The field from an infinite sheet with a surface charge density
    sigma is
    [tex]E=\frac{\sigma}{2\epsilon_{0}}[/tex]

EDIT: fix formula. Note, mks units are used.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?