What is the Electric Field at Points 1, 2, and 3 between Two Charged Sheets?

In summary, the problem involves two large sheets of plastic with a distance d between them. One sheet has a uniform surface charge density of -4(n0) and the other has a uniform surface charge density of 5(n0). The question asks for the electric field vector at points 1, 2, and 3. To solve this, the electric field from a uniformly charged sheet can be used and the field at each point is a superposition of the fields from the two sheets. The expression for the electric field due to a rectangular sheet is E= sigma/2epsilon_0. However, the value of n0 is not given in the problem. The answer will appear as a factor of the electric field from n0
abeltyukov
Hi,

Homework Statement

You've hung two very large sheets of plastic facing each other with distance d between them, as shown in Figure P26.50 ( http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q208/infinitbelt/p26-50-1.gif ... ). By rubbing them with wool and silk, you've managed to give one sheet a uniform surface charge density n1 = -4(n0) and the other a uniform surface charge density n2 = 5(n0). What is the electric field vector at points 1, 2, and 3?2. The attempt at a solution

I drew the force diagrams for the three points but that is where I think I am making my mistake. For example, for point 1, I have a force going to the left from the positive plate and a force going to the right from the negative plate. The difference I get is 1(n0), but that is wrong. Any ideas?Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Any ideas?

Thanks!

Use the expression (probably in your book?) for the electric field from a uniformly charged sheet. The field at each point is a superposition (sum) of the fields from the two sheets.

For my own clarification; is "n0" a given surface charge density?

marcusl said:
Use the expression (probably in your book?) for the electric field from a uniformly charged sheet. The field at each point is a superposition (sum) of the fields from the two sheets.

For my own clarification; is "n0" a given surface charge density?
There is no numerical value given to "n0" in the problem. It is like -4x and 5x.

Thank you for the help!

Ok, then the answer will appear as a factor of the electric field from n0.

What is the expression for the electric field due to the rectangular sheet?

In my book it is not present. I tried doing the derivation but the integral that I come up with when dividing the sheet into rods doesn't look nice to do. Could you do me the favor and show the expression? Thank you.

The field from an infinite sheet with a surface charge density
sigma is
[tex]E=\frac{\sigma}{2\epsilon_{0}}[/tex]

EDIT: fix formula. Note, mks units are used.

Last edited:

1. What is an electric field at a point?

An electric field at a point is a vector quantity that describes the strength and direction of the electric force experienced by a charged particle at that point. It is created by other charged particles and can influence the movement of charged particles within the field.

2. How is the electric field strength measured?

The electric field strength is measured in units of newtons per coulomb (N/C) or volts per meter (V/m). It can be calculated by dividing the force experienced by a test charge placed in the field by the magnitude of the test charge.

3. What factors affect the strength of an electric field at a point?

The strength of an electric field at a point is affected by the magnitude and distance of the source charges, as well as the medium in which the field exists. The direction of the field is also influenced by the direction of the source charges.

4. How does the direction of the electric field at a point relate to the movement of charged particles?

The direction of the electric field at a point is always in the direction that a positive test charge would move if placed in the field. If the field is uniform, the direction of the field will be the same at all points within the field. Charged particles will be influenced by the direction of the field and will move accordingly.

5. Can the electric field at a point be zero?

Yes, the electric field at a point can be zero if there are no source charges present at that point. In cases where there are multiple source charges, the electric fields may cancel each other out at certain points, resulting in a net electric field of zero at those points.