Electric fields between disks

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the net electric field strength at a point located 5.0 cm from one disk and 18 cm from the other, both disks being charged to -30 nC. The formula used is \eta/2\epsilon0 * [1-1/\sqrt{1+ R^2/z^2}], where \eta is the charge density and R and z are the distances from the disks. After some clarification on the sign convention, the final calculated value is 48823.1 N/C, rounded to two significant figures. However, it is suggested to use three significant figures in calculations when using Mastering Physics.
StephenDoty
Two 10cm-diameter charged disks face each other, 18 cm apart. Both disks are charged to - 30 nC. What is the electric field strength a point on the axis 5.0 cm from one disk between them?

[tex]\eta[/tex]/2[tex]\epsilon[/tex]0 * [1-1/[tex]\sqrt{1+ R^2/z^2}[/tex]]
with [tex]\eta[/tex] = -4.0 X 10^(-6) C/m^2
R=.05m z=.05cm for the left one and z=.13m for the right one

As I read this question, it is asking for the net electric field at a point .05m from one disk and .13m from the other. And since both disks are negative,the point will be attracted to both disks, making E1 and E2 opposite.

E1= -66190.6 N/C
E2= -15063.2 N/C
Both are negative meaning both are pointing towards their respective ring.
So to find Enet do I add E1 and E2? Making Enet= -81253.8 N/C = 81253.8 N/C toward the left ring??

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Stephen

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, electric fields obey the principle of superposition, which means that you must sum the vectors of all electric fields in order to get the total. Just note that in your case the vectors are facing opposite directions, so you should subtract.

-66190.6 N/C - -15063.2 N/C

or
66190.6N/C - 15063.2 N/C?

StephenDoty said:
As I read this question, it is asking for the net electric field at a point .05m from one disk and .13m from the other. And since both disks are negative,the point will be attracted to both disks, making E1 and E2 opposite.
Good.

E1= -66190.6 N/C
E2= -15063.2 N/C
Both are negative meaning both are pointing towards their respective ring.
The way to describe these fields is (I will assume that your arithmetic is OK and that E1 is the field from the left disk):
E1 = 66190.6 N/C towards the left disk
E2 = 15063.2 N/C towards the right disk

If you call left negative and right positive, that means:
E1 = -66190.6 N/C (since it points to the left)
E2 = +15063.2 N/C (since it points to the right)

Now that you're using a consistent sign convention, to find the total field just add them up:
Enet = E1 + E2.

As for your final answer, I would just give the magnitude of the field strength as the sign is arbitrary.

so E=51127.4 N/C?

When I checked your calculations I got a bit of a different answer. Don't round off your value for [itex]\eta[/itex] to 2 sig figs and expect accurate answers to 6 figs! Redo those calculations--don't round off until the last step.

redid it and got 48823.1.
Is this what you got?

That looks much better.

I rounded 48823.1 to two sig figs or 4.9*10^4
but when I put it into mastering physics it said it was wrong. Any suggestions?

Thanks for the help.
Stephen

What might I have done wrong? Any ideas?

How many significant figures does Mastering Physics expect?

Edit: I found a webpage with tips for using Mastering Physics. One of the things it said is this:
Use three significant figures for all calculations! Your answer may be incorrect if you used only 2 significant figures during steps of the calculation or 2 significant figures for your answer.​
This might be the problem.

Here's the webpage: http://phystec4.cosam.calpoly.edu/141/masteringphysics.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
2 sig figs

See the comment I added to my last post. (Of course, it may not apply to your situation.)

I'm just wondering where the -30 nC comes into play? I see that StephenDoty has eta listed as -4.0 * 10^(-6). Where did that come from? Thanks.

ltjlogic said:
I'm just wondering where the -30 nC comes into play? I see that StephenDoty has eta listed as -4.0 * 10^(-6). Where did that come from? Thanks.
eta ≡ charge/area; since charge and dimensions are given, one can calculate eta. The value of -4.0 * 10^(-6) is incorrect.

1. What is an electric field between disks?

An electric field between disks refers to the region in space surrounding two charged disks where the electric force can be felt. It is created by the electric charges on the surfaces of the disks and can influence the movement of other charged particles within the field.

2. How is the strength of an electric field between disks determined?

The strength of an electric field between disks is determined by the magnitude of the charges on the disks and the distance between them. The closer the disks are to each other and the larger the charges, the stronger the electric field will be.

3. What factors can affect the shape of an electric field between disks?

The shape of an electric field between disks can be affected by the shape and size of the disks, the distribution of charges on the disks, and the presence of other electrically charged objects in the surrounding space. These factors can cause the electric field lines to curve, converge, or diverge.

4. Can an electric field between disks be manipulated?

Yes, an electric field between disks can be manipulated by changing the distance between the disks or by altering the charges on the disks. This can be done using external sources of electric fields, such as batteries or generators, to create a desired electric field between the disks.

5. What is the significance of studying electric fields between disks?

Studying electric fields between disks is important in understanding the principles of electromagnetism and its applications in various technologies. It also helps in understanding the behavior of charged particles in different electric field configurations, which is crucial in fields such as electronics, power generation, and particle physics.