Finding the Charge for a Specific Electric Field at the Origin

In summary, the question involves calculating the sign and magnitude of a second point charge, q2, on the x-axis at x = -1.20 m for the net electric field at the origin to be 50.0 N/C in the +x-direction and -x-direction respectively. Using the equation E = k*q/r^2, the charge must be negative for subtraction to occur in part a) and positive for addition in part b). The calculated values for q2 are -7.9893*10^-9 C and -2.40*10^-8 C for parts a) and b) respectively.
Soaring Crane

Homework Statement

A negative point charge q_1 = -4.00 nC is on the x-axis at x = 0.60 m. A second point charge q_2 is on the x-axis at x = -1.20 m.

a. What must the sign and magnitude of q_2 be for the net electric field at the origin to be 50.0 N/C in the +x-direction?

b. What must the sign and magnitude of q_2 be for the net electric field at the origin to be 50.0 N/C in the -x-direction?

Homework Equations

E = k*q/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

a. The charge must be negative for subtraction to occur.

(-q2) O__<____. _>__O (-q1)
-----E2 = (-)------E1= (+)
negative diagram
. = field point (0,0)
O = particle
Arrow indicates field direction based on positive test charge

E1 = (8.988*10^9)*(-4.00*10^-9 C)/(.60 m)^2 = 99.8667 N/C (+)

99.8667 N/C + E2 = 50 N/C
E2 = -49.8667 C

q_2 = r^2*(49.86667)/(8.988*10^9) = -7.9893*10^-9 C ?

b. E1 = (8.988*10^9)*(-4.00*10^-9 C)/(.60 m)^2 = 99.8667 N/C (+)

E2 = -50 N/C – 99.8667 = -149.8667 C

q_2 = [(r^2)149.8667 N/C]/k = [(r^2)149.8667 N/C]/k = (1.2^2)*149.8667/(8.988*10^9) = -2.40*10^-8 C ?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
For a), why do you say "The charge must be negative for subtraction to occur"? E field points from + charge to - charge, and a) wants a net positive E field at the origin, doesn't it? Maybe I'm misreading something.

u should know that q1 and q2 exert on the origin ... so there is 2 forces what means there is 2 electric fields..
the net electric fields should be =50 and in the direction of the force exert by q2 on the origin...u have this condition and the equations ...u should solve it i think
tr to get the net force on the origin assuming theer is test point charge. then using the condition u have and the values u will have the answer.

Part a is correct.

You can look at this by proportions as a sanity check. q2 is twice as far away as q1, so if it had an equal charge, the strength of its field at the origin would be 1/4 as strong as q1's. Since the field was half as strong as it would be with q1 alone, the charge on q2 has to be about twice as strong as q1.

hey BobG is what i said true? just to check if i know the concept

moe_3_moe said:
hey BobG is what i said true? just to check if i know the concept

That's a tough question.

You could insert a test point of some mass (1kg to keep things simple), but you don't really need it. You'd be multiplying everything by your test mass, including your field at the origin.

Is my answer for Part B incorrect?

No, I think it's correct. I just didn't look at it. A quick check comparing the proportions looks right.

1. What is the direction of an electric field?

The direction of an electric field is the direction in which a positive test charge would move if placed in the field. Electric field lines always point in the direction of the electric field.

2. How is the direction of an electric field determined?

The direction of an electric field is determined by the direction of the force on a positive test charge placed in the field. The force on a positive test charge will be in the same direction as the electric field lines.

3. Can the direction of an electric field change?

Yes, the direction of an electric field can change depending on the distribution of charges in the surrounding space. The electric field will always point away from positive charges and towards negative charges.

4. What is the significance of the direction of an electric field?

The direction of an electric field is important because it determines the direction of the force that a charged particle will experience in the field. This is crucial in understanding the behavior of charged particles in various situations.

5. How is the direction of an electric field represented?

The direction of an electric field is often represented by electric field lines, which are drawn to show the direction and strength of the field. The direction of the field can also be represented by arrows pointing in the direction of the field lines.