Electric fields (Gauss' Law)

In summary, the conversation discusses two large flat metal sheets placed a distance L apart, with a separation L that is small compared to the lateral dimensions of the sheets. Each sheet has a total surface area A, with a very thin thickness compared to its lateral dimensions. Metal one has a total charge of +Q while metal 2 has a total charge of +2Q. The conversation then goes on to determine the electric field strengths and surface charge densities using Gaussian surfaces shown in the diagram provided. It is noted that the electric fields inside the metal (regions 2 and 4) are zero. The conversation also mentions using Gauss' law to calculate the charge surface density for each plate and using a superposition approach to determine the electric fields in
forty
Two large flat metal sheets are a distance L apart. The separation L is small compared
to the lateral dimensions of the sheets. Each sheet has a total surface area A, which includes both top and bottom surfaces of the sheet. The thickness of each sheet is very small compared to its lateral dimensions. Metal one has total charge +Q while metal 2 has total charge +2Q. In terms of Q and A and using the Gaussian surfaces shown, determine:

(a) The electric field strengths, E1 to E5, in regions 1 to 5.

(b) The surface charge densities, a to d, on the four surfaces a to d.

Note: The charge distribution will be reasonably symmetric and the magnitude of the field
strength at all points in regions 1 and 5 will be equal. That is the key to working it all out!

http://students.informatics.unimelb.edu.au/serve/cmcleod/stuff/gauss.JPGThe electric fields inside the metal (regions 2 and 4) are zero (if that's wrong god help me).

So i can use gauss' law on the 3 Gaussian surfaces.

Gauss' law => E.dA = q/e

So for gauss 1: E.dA = 3Q/e ?

I have a feeling like usual that this is wrong. the charge Q and 2Q are spread over the entire plate so only the amount inside the the Gaussian surface is enclosed, but i don't know how to work that out from the information given.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think that you should calculate the charge surface density for each plate and then get the enclosed charge from that: q=s dA, where s=Q/A (or 2Q/A)

is it ok to think about this as though the charge in region 4 is Q+ and the charge in region 2 is 0?

I tried using a superposition approach...

1,2,3,4,5 - 3Q/e, 0 , Q/e , 0 , 3Q/e

does this look even faintly relevant?

(although i still have to work it out using gauss' law)

Last edited:

What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical quantity that describes the strength and direction of the force experienced by a charged particle in a given region of space. It is represented by a vector, with magnitude and direction, and is created by the presence of electric charges.

What is Gauss' Law?

Gauss' Law is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that relates the distribution of electric charge to the resulting electric field. It states that the electric flux through a closed surface is equal to the enclosed charge divided by the permittivity of free space. This law is named after the German mathematician and physicist, Carl Friedrich Gauss.

How is Gauss' Law applied to electric fields?

Gauss' Law is applied to electric fields by using it to calculate the electric flux through a closed surface surrounding a charge or a group of charges. The electric flux is then related to the enclosed charge, allowing for the determination of the electric field at a given point.

What is the significance of Gauss' Law in science and engineering?

Gauss' Law is of great significance in science and engineering as it provides a fundamental understanding of the relationship between electric charges and electric fields. It is used in various applications, such as designing electric circuits, analyzing the behavior of electric fields in different materials, and predicting the behavior of lightning strikes.

How is Gauss' Law related to other laws and equations in electromagnetism?

Gauss' Law is closely related to other fundamental laws and equations in electromagnetism, such as Coulomb's Law, the electric field equation, and the electric potential equation. These laws and equations, together with Gauss' Law, form the basis of understanding and analyzing electric fields and their effects on objects and particles.