Solve Electric Field: Find q Given E, k, and r

In summary, the problem is asking for the magnitude of the charge on each point charge, given the electric field at the midpoint between them and the distance between the charges. The formula for electric field is E = k*q/r^2, and in this case, the distance r is equal to half the distance between the charges. Using this information, we can set up an equation to solve for the charge on each point charge.
matt.

Homework Statement

The electric field midway between two equal but opposite point charges is 894 N/C, and the distance between the charges is 17.2 cm. What is the magnitude of the charge on each?

Homework Equations

E = Fe/q

Fe = kq1q2/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Electric field = k*q/r^2 = 447 N/C. You know r and k, so just solve for q.

I tried about 5 times already and it is always wrong my most recent attempt I divided the Electric Field by two so I had 446 N/C = 8.99e9 * q/.172^2. But it was wrong.

I might have typed this up wrong but I am new here, sorry. If you guys could help me that'd be great. Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi matt, welcome to PF.
You are finding the field at the midpoint of the two charges. Then what is r?

rl.bhat said:
Hi matt, welcome to PF.
You are finding the field at the midpoint of the two charges. Then what is r?

0.086 m?

Then how would I set that up? Is the Electric Field also divided by 2?

No. The electric field has it's formula as a function of the distance of each charge.

Do you know how to write the expression for the electric field at some point on the line connecting the charges? (name the distance from one charge x)

What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical quantity that describes the force that a charged particle experiences at any given point in space. It is represented by a vector and is measured in units of newtons per coulomb (N/C).

How is electric field related to charge?

The electric field at a given point is directly proportional to the amount of charge present at that point. In other words, the more charge there is, the stronger the electric field will be.

What is the equation for calculating electric field?

The equation for calculating electric field is E = kq/r^2, where E is the electric field strength, k is the Coulomb's constant (8.99 x 10^9 Nm^2/C^2), q is the charge, and r is the distance between the charged particle and the point where the electric field is being measured.

How do I find the charge (q) given the electric field, Coulomb's constant, and distance?

To find the charge (q), use the equation q = Er^2/k. Simply plug in the given values for E, k, and r, and solve for q.

What is the unit of measurement for charge (q) in this equation?

The unit of measurement for charge (q) in this equation is coulombs (C). This is the standard unit for measuring electric charge.