1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric fields of dipole

1. Sep 8, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A rod of length 2L lies on the x axis, centered at the origen, and carries a line charge

density given by t=T(x/L), where T is a constant. (a) Find an expression for the electric

field strength at points on the x axis, for x>L (b) Show that for x>>L, your result has the

1/x^3 dependence of a dipole field, and by comparison, determine the dipole moment of the

2. Relevant equations

dE = (k dq)/r^2

3. The attempt at a solution

dq=Tda, dE= (k dq)/(x-a)^2 = (kT/L) * (a da) / (x-a)^2

integral dE form -L to +L

E = (kT/L) * ( - x/(x+L) + x/(x-L) + ln( (x-L)/(x+L)) )

when x>>L , by using binomial expanding, the result what I have

1/x^2 dependence. Help !!!!!!!!
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

Could I get confirmation on this question? Normally when electric dipoles are talked of, we would look to find fields for distances perpendicular to the dipole rather than parallel.
  4. Sep 8, 2008 #3
    The situation fof that problem, To find the fields for distances parallel to the dipole.

I think it doesn't matter whether perpendicular or parallel.

The result of both situation has 1/^3 dependence of a dipole field, I think

If you know the answer about perpendicular case, I really appreciate your sincerity

although that is not exact answer about this problem. Thank you for your reply.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?