How Do Electric Fields Affect Electron Motion Between Charged Plates?

In summary, a uniform electric field exists between two oppositely charged parallel metal plates. An electron released from rest at the surface of the negatively charged plate strikes the surface of the positively charged plate 2.00 cm away in a time of 1.8 * 10^{-8} s. The speed of the electron as it strikes the second plate is 2.7 * 10^6 m/s and the magnitude of the electric field between the plates is 1 * 10^3 N/C. On circular plates with a radius of 15.0 cm, the magnitude of the charge per unit area on the surface of either plate can be calculated using the equation \sigma = \frac{q}{2 \
patrickmoloney

Homework Statement

A uniform electric eld exists in a region between two oppositely charged parallel metal plates.
An electron is released from rest at the surface of the negatively charged plate and strikes the surface of the positively charged plate, 2.00 cm away, in a time [itex] 1.8 * 10^{-8} s [/itex]

(i) What is the speed of the electron as it strikes the second plate?
(ii) What is the magnitude of the electricfield between the plates?

If the plates are circular with [itex] r = 15.0 cm [/itex] find,

(i) The magnitude of the charge per unit area on the surface of either plate
(ii) the electrical force of attraction between two plates

Homework Equations

[itex] \Delta x = v_{avg} t = \frac{vt}{2} [/itex]

[itex] \Delta x = \frac{1}{2} at^2 [/itex]

[itex] E = \frac{F}{q_e} [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

B.

(i) [itex] \Delta x = v_{avg} t = \frac{vt}{2} [/itex]

[itex] v = \frac{2\Delta x}{t} = \frac{2(2x10^{-2})}{1.8 *10^{-8}}\frac{m}{s} = 2.7*10^6 \frac{m}{s} [/itex]

(ii) [itex] \Delta x = \frac{1}{2} at^2 [/itex] and [itex] E = \frac{F}{q_e} = \frac {ma}{q_e} [/itex]

[itex] E = \frac{ma}{q_e} = \frac{2 \Delta x m}{et^2} = \frac{2(2.0*10^{-2})(9.11*10^{-31})}{(1.6*10^{-19})(1.8*10^{-8})} = 1*10^3 N/C [/itex]

C.

(i) [itex] \sigma = \frac{q}{2 \pi r^2} = \frac{1.6*10^{-19}}{2 \pi (15.0*10^{-2})^2} = 1.8*10^{-19} C/m^2 [/itex]

(ii) I'm sure the force equation is [itex] \vec{F} = k \frac{q_1q_2}{r^2} [/itex] where,

[itex] k = \frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} [/itex]

How do I find C. (ii) since I only have one charged particle ## q_e ##

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The question is what's the force between the plates. First calculate the charge of the plates than calculate the force on that charge due to the field produced by the other plate (that's half of the total field between the plates).

Your question says time = 1.8∗10-8s, you used time = 1.5∗10-8s

Yeah sorry that was a typo. Could I say -

## E = \frac{\sigma}{\epsilon_0} = \frac{1.8*10^{-19}}{8.85*10^{-12}} = 2.03*10^{-8} NC^{-1} ##

patrickmoloney said:
Yeah sorry that was a typo. Could I say -

## E = \frac{\sigma}{\epsilon_0} = \frac{1.8*10^{-19}}{8.85*10^{-12}} = 2.03*10^{-8} NC^{-1} ##

No, that σ is wrong. Did you use the electric charge to find it? Why would you do that?

What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical field that surrounds electrically charged particles and exerts a force on other charged particles within the field. It is a fundamental concept in the study of electromagnetism.

How is an electric field created?

An electric field is created by the presence of an electric charge. Positive charges create an outward electric field, while negative charges create an inward electric field. The strength of the field is directly proportional to the magnitude of the charge.

What is the unit of measurement for electric fields?

The unit of measurement for electric fields is volts per meter (V/m). This is a measure of the electric field strength at a given point in space.

How is the direction of an electric field determined?

The direction of an electric field is determined by the direction in which a positive test charge would be pushed or pulled when placed in the field. It is always directed away from a positive charge and towards a negative charge.

What are some real-life applications of electric fields?

Electric fields have a wide range of applications, including in electronics, telecommunications, and medical technology. They are also used in everyday objects such as batteries, power lines, and household appliances.