Electric Fields (vectors)

In summary, the electric field at point (b, 0) due to two point charges, one with magnitude Q at (0, a) and the other with magnitude -Q at (0, -a), is given by E = Qa / [2πε0(a²+b²)^(3/2)], where ε0 is the permittivity constant. This can be derived by considering the electric fields due to each point charge separately and then adding them together as vectors. The angle x refers to the direction of the resultant electric field with respect to the x-axis. A diagram can be helpful in visualizing the problem and determining the correct signs for the equations.
umagongdi

Homework Statement

The x-y plane contains point charge with magnitudes and positions as follows:

A charge of Q lies at co-ordinates (0, a)
A charge of -Q lies at co-ordinates (0,-a)

Show that the magnitude of the electric field at (b, 0) is given by

E = Qa / [2πε0(a²+b²)^(3/2)]

ε0 = Epsilon nought = 8.85 x10^-12

Homework Equations

E = Q/ 4πε0r²

The Attempt at a Solution

E due to Q is

E1 = Q/ 4πε0r²
E1 = Q/ 4πε0(a²+b²)

Therefore the vector E'

E' = E1*Cos(x) i^ + E1*Sin(x) j^
E' = QCos(x) / 4πε0(a²+b²) i^ + QSin(x)/ 4πε0(a²+b²) j^

E due to -Q is

E2 = Q/ 4πε0r²
E2 = Q/ 4πε0(a²+b²)

Therefore the vector E''

E'' = E2*Cos(x) i^ + E2*Sin(x) j^
E'' = QCos(x) / 4πε0(a²+b²) i^ + QSin(x)/ 4πε0(a²+b²) j^

Vector E = E' + E''
E = QCos(x) / 4πε0(a²+b²) i^ + QSin(x)/ 4πε0(a²+b²) j^
+ QCos(x) / 4πε0(a²+b²) i^ + QSin(x)/ 4πε0(a²+b²) j^
E = QCos(x) / 2πε0(a²+b²) i^ + QSin(x)/ 2πε0(a²+b²) j^

Magnitude of E
E = sqrt{Q²Cos²(x) / [2πε0(a²+b²)]² + Q²Sin²(x)/ [2πε0(a²+b²)]²}

E = Q / 2πε0(a²+b²)

As you can see its close lol, need Q*a not Q by itself and (a²+b²) should be(a²+b²)^(3/2)?

Physics news on Phys.org
remember that one charge is +Q and another is -Q. Also remember that electric fields are vectors and therefore direction matters, so your use of "cos(x)" and "sin(x)" in both equations begs the question "what is x referring to here?" So, my advice is to draw a diagram. It will make the question much simpler.

Sorry i forgot to explain what x is. After drawing a diagram with resolved forces at (b,0), x would be the angle between the resultant E fields and the x axis. I am not sure which signs need to be negative any clues/advice/lecture will be appreciated very much.

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical quantity that describes the influence that a charged object has on other charged objects in its vicinity. It is a vector field, meaning it has both magnitude and direction, and is typically represented by arrows pointing in the direction of the field.

2. How is an electric field different from an electric force?

An electric field is a property of space, while an electric force is the interaction between two charged objects. The electric field is what causes the electric force, as charged objects will experience a force when placed in an electric field.

3. What factors affect the strength of an electric field?

The strength of an electric field depends on the magnitude of the source charge and the distance from the source charge. The farther away an object is from the source charge, the weaker the electric field will be. Additionally, the type of material between the source charge and the object can also affect the strength of the electric field.

4. How is an electric field measured?

An electric field is measured in units of volts per meter (V/m) using a device called an electric field meter. This device measures the electric field strength at a specific location by detecting the force on a test charge placed in the field.

5. What are some real-world applications of electric fields?

Electric fields have many practical applications, including powering electronic devices, creating static electricity, and controlling the movement of charged particles in technologies such as particle accelerators. They are also used in medical imaging techniques such as electrocardiograms and electroencephalograms.