1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Fields

1. Apr 3, 2006 #1
    Here is the problem i am stuck on: There are 4 charges arranged in a rectangle pictured with side lengths .03m and .05m. The top 2 charges are negative and the bottom 2 charges are positive. All 4 charges have the same magnitude of 8.60*10^-12 C. Find the magnitude of the electric field at the center of the rectangle as pictured:

1 2
    3 4

So first i found the radius to each charge which is the same for all the charges. so the radius is the square root of (.015m^2+.025^2) = .0292 m
    So i know that E1=E2=E3=E4 since the radius is the same for all the charges. So E=kq/(r^2)=8.99*10^9(8.6*10^-12)/(.029^2)=91.9. The Electric field is doubled though for the top 2 charges because the positive electric field points away from itself and the negative electric field points toward itself so i know that this combined electric field is 2*91.9 = 184. I know this is right because i got this part of the question right. Now to find the electric field at the center of the rectangle, i would think to use the pythagorean theorom and say Enet= square root of (184^2+184^2)= 260. However, the CPU tells me this is wrong. Please help me out. Thanks.
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted