Will Latex make a comeback someday?

• Thread starter nahya
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mind
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of net electric field and force between two point charges using vector notation and the use of the formula \vec F_{12} = \frac{kq_1 q_2}{r^2}\hat r. The speaker also mentions the use of three-dimensional thinking and the calculation of the absolute value in the problem.
nahya
never mind. sorry :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know where my calculator is, so this might be wrong... but the theory should be there.

[tex] Qa [/tex]
[tex] Qb [/tex]
are point charges.

Thus:
[tex] \vec E = \frac{kq}{r^2}\hat r [/tex]

[tex] \vec r_{PQa} = \left[\begin{array}{c} 11 \cross 10^2 m \\ 0 \\ 0 \end{array} \right][/tex]

[tex] \vec r_{PQb} = \left[ \begin{array}{c} (11+22) \times 10^2 m \\ 0 \\ 0 \end{array} \right][/tex]

[tex] r_{PQa} = |vec r_{PQa}| = \sqrt{(11\times 10^2 m)^2+(0)^2+(0)^2}=11\times 10^2m[/tex]

[tex] r_{PQb}=33\times 10^2 m [/tex]

[tex] \vec E_{net} = \vec E_{Qa} + \vec E_{Qb} = \frac{kQa}{r_{pQa}^2}\hat r_{Qa} + \frac{kQb}{r_{{pQb}^2}\hat r_{Qb} [/tex]

Notice that:
[tex] \hat r_{Qa}=\hat r_{Qb} = \hat i = \left[ \begin{array}{c} 1 \\ 0 \\ 0 \end{array} \right] [/tex]

Thus:
[tex] \vec E_{net} = k\hat i \left(\frac{4\times 10^{-6}}{(11 \times 10^2 m)^2} + \frac{-1 \times 10^{-6}}{33 \times 10^2 m}\right) [/tex]

After you plug in [itex] k [/itex] and cross of the units you get:
[tex] \vec E = \hat i \left((9\times 10^9) \frac{4\times 10^{-6}}{(11 \times 10^2 m)^2} + \frac{-1 \times 10^{-6}}{33 \times 10^2 m}\right)\fraq{N}{C}[/tex]

Also remember that you can drop the vector notation for [itex] \vec E_{net} [/tex] by taking the magnitude of it. And since you only have one component [itex] E_{net} is just equal to whatever that calculation is above. Sorry, I really don't feel like doing that by hand... not that it's hard. I'm just too lazy to do it.

For the second part of your question recall that:
[tex] \vec F_{12} = \frac{kq_1 q_2}{r^2}\hat r [/tex]

I think you can figure it out from what I showed you above. I gave a very rigrious calculation, not skipping many steps. I find it easier just to think about most questions like this as three dimensional questions, and just do a little bit more steps with the vector calculus.

well.. the latex thing isn't working atm, i guess. ^^
i solved the problem, however. i just didn't think about the types of the resulting charges.

Why are you taking the absolute value? How are you setting up the problem for the force?

Cool. Well I guess you're good.

Maybe some day Latex will come back :)

1. What does "Never Mind - Apologies!" mean?

"Never Mind - Apologies!" is a phrase commonly used to express regret or to apologize for a statement or action. It can also be used to dismiss something that was previously said or to indicate that something is not important anymore.

2. Is "Never Mind - Apologies!" a scientific term?

No, "Never Mind - Apologies!" is not a scientific term. It is a common phrase used in everyday language.

3. Who is credited with coining the phrase "Never Mind - Apologies!"?

It is not clear who first coined the phrase "Never Mind - Apologies!", as it has been used in literature and spoken language for many years. It is believed to have originated from the English language, but its exact origins are unknown.

4. Can "Never Mind - Apologies!" be used as an apology in a formal setting?

It depends on the context and tone in which it is used. While it can be used as a casual apology in everyday conversation, it may not be appropriate in a formal setting. It is important to consider the audience and the seriousness of the situation before using this phrase as an apology.

5. Are there any alternatives to "Never Mind - Apologies!"?

Yes, there are many alternatives to "Never Mind - Apologies!" depending on the context and purpose. Some examples include "I apologize for my mistake", "Please disregard my previous statement", or "I take back what I said". It is important to choose the appropriate phrase based on the situation and the level of formality.