1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Fields

1. Apr 3, 2006 #1
    never mind. sorry :)

Last edited: Apr 4, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 4, 2006 #2
    I don't know where my calculator is, so this might be wrong... but the theory should be there.

[tex] Qa [/tex]
    [tex] Qb [/tex]
    are point charges.

Thus:
    [tex] \vec E = \frac{kq}{r^2}\hat r [/tex]

[tex] \vec r_{PQa} = \left[\begin{array}{c} 11 \cross 10^2 m \\ 0 \\ 0 \end{array} \right][/tex]

[tex] \vec r_{PQb} = \left[ \begin{array}{c} (11+22) \times 10^2 m \\ 0 \\ 0 \end{array} \right][/tex]

[tex] r_{PQa} = |vec r_{PQa}| = \sqrt{(11\times 10^2 m)^2+(0)^2+(0)^2}=11\times 10^2m[/tex]

[tex] r_{PQb}=33\times 10^2 m [/tex]

[tex] \vec E_{net} = \vec E_{Qa} + \vec E_{Qb} = \frac{kQa}{r_{pQa}^2}\hat r_{Qa} + \frac{kQb}{r_{{pQb}^2}\hat r_{Qb} [/tex]

Notice that:
    [tex] \hat r_{Qa}=\hat r_{Qb} = \hat i = \left[ \begin{array}{c} 1 \\ 0 \\ 0 \end{array} \right] [/tex]

Thus:
    [tex] \vec E_{net} = k\hat i \left(\frac{4\times 10^{-6}}{(11 \times 10^2 m)^2} + \frac{-1 \times 10^{-6}}{33 \times 10^2 m}\right) [/tex]

After you plug in [itex] k [/itex] and cross of the units you get:
    [tex] \vec E = \hat i \left((9\times 10^9) \frac{4\times 10^{-6}}{(11 \times 10^2 m)^2} + \frac{-1 \times 10^{-6}}{33 \times 10^2 m}\right)\fraq{N}{C}[/tex]

Also remember that you can drop the vector notation for [itex] \vec E_{net} [/tex] by taking the magnitude of it. And since you only have one component [itex] E_{net} is just equal to whatever that calculation is above. Sorry, I really don't feel like doing that by hand... not that it's hard. I'm just too lazy to do it.

For the second part of your question recall that:
    [tex] \vec F_{12} = \frac{kq_1 q_2}{r^2}\hat r [/tex]

I think you can figure it out from what I showed you above. I gave a very rigrious calculation, not skipping many steps. I find it easier just to think about most questions like this as three dimensional questions, and just do a little bit more steps with the vector calculus.

4. Apr 4, 2006 #3
    well.. the latex thing isn't working atm, i guess. ^^
    i solved the problem, however. i just didn't think about the types of the resulting charges.

5. Apr 4, 2006 #4
    Why are you taking the absolute value? How are you setting up the problem for the force?

6. Apr 4, 2006 #5
    Cool. Well I guess you're good.

Maybe some day Latex will come back :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?