1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Fields

1. Feb 10, 2005 #1
    An electron is placed in an electric field of strength 300 N/C. What is the magnitude of the force the electron experiences?
    1.6x10^13 N
    2.4x10^13 N
    3.2x10^14 N
    4.8x10^14 N
    6.4x10^14 N

A particle of mass 0.005 kg is given a charge of +4.0 µC and is placed in an electrical field that is directed antiparallel to the earth's gravitational field. What is the field strength, expressed in N/C, if it balances the weight of the particle?
    1.6 x10^6
    2.4 x10^6
    3.2 x10^6
    4.4 x10^6
    4.7 x10^6

Wen I tried to do these questions, I did not even come close to the figure in bold. I thought F = Eq or F = mg/q would be sufficient enough, but I guess not. Can anyone explain how to arrive at each answer?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2005 #2
    F = Eq is the correct equation to use for the first part, but all those answers listed are wrong.
    q is the charge of an electron = 1.6 * 10^-19 C,
    Just look at the exponents. You would have to have an E in the order of 10^33 N/C in order to come anywhere near those numbers. Are you sure you copied the question correctly?

For the second, I think you mean E = mg/q not F = mg/q. Again, all the choices are wrong? Where did you get these questions?
  4. Feb 10, 2005 #3

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

None of these answers are even close to being right. The force is qE. If E is 300 and q is 1.6e-19 Coulomb, qE = 4.8e-17 N.

Again: F = qE, but in this case F also = mg, so qE = mg; E = mg/q

Plugging in the numbers, E = 5e-3*9.8/4e-6 = 1.225 e4 N/C Again none of the answers fit.

Where did you get these questions?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?