1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Fields

1. Mar 6, 2005 #1
    1. An electron with a speed of 3.0 x 106 m/s moves into a uniform electric field of 1000 N/C. The field is parallel to the electron's motion. How far does the electron travel before it is brought to rest.

I read the part of the text related to electric fields but I saw nothing that related it to the velocity of particle.

2. An electron is released a short distance above earth's surface. A second electron directly below it exerts an electrostatic force on the first ele- just great enough to cancel the gravitational force on it. How far below the first electron is the second?

Using Fg = G m1m2/r2 do I use this formula to find out the gravitational force and then set it equal to the electrical force? I'm a little confused on how to approach this.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 6, 2005 #2
    force acting on a charge in a field E is given by F= qE. Use newtons law to relate the acceleration with this

you know v1, v2, a now find the time

equate the gravitational force between earth and the electron with the coulomb attraction froce between teh electrons and solve for the r

Hint the distance between the electron and the earth is not the same as the disatnce between the two electrons i guess the ygeave you radius of the earth didnt they?)
  4. Mar 6, 2005 #3
    No they didn't give me the radius of the earth. I gave you the entire problem.
  5. Mar 6, 2005 #4
    i guess they expect you to find it out

the radius of the eaarth is 6.38 x 10^6 metres
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?