1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric fields

1. Dec 11, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the net electric field strength at point A due to the combined electric fields of both charges.

2. Relevant equations

E=kq/d^2

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know how to solve these type of problems however I'm just wondering how come in the net force line as you can see on my paper, they didn't use a -3.7*10^7 since it is going in the left direction.

The answer that was given was : 3.7*10^7+ 7.71*10^6 = 4.5*10^7 N/C

When I did electrostatic forces before that had charges in a line, you had to use negative when finding net force for charges that went to the left..

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2013 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I agree with your line of thought :smile:. The magnitude of the net E field should be|-3.7*10^7+ 7.71*10^6|. The magnitudes of the individual fields should be subtracted because the individual electric field vectors point in opposite directions at point A.

[EDIT: To avoid giving people stiff necks, it would be nice to post your images so they are upright. :wink:]

Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
  4. Dec 11, 2013 #3
    So you are saying that the answer that was given was wrong?

5. Dec 11, 2013 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes. If one charge is positive, the other charge is negative, and the point A is located as shown in your diagram, then the given solution is wrong.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted