1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Fields

1. Aug 5, 2005 #1
    I'm trying to understand the concept of the Electric Field. Is it a force itself? Or its some abstract piece of energy that generates a force?

I don't really get how its different from a force. Isn't it referred to as a "force field"?
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 5, 2005 #2

Homework Helper

As far as I know, it's not exactly a force.
    An E-field is defined as followed:
    [tex]\vec E \equiv \mathop {\lim }\limits_{q_0 \to 0} \frac{{\vec F}}{{q_0 }}[/tex]

Here is [itex]q_0[/itex] a test charge and [itex]\vec F[/itex] the electric force.
    Therefore, an E-field is a force per charge so in N/C.

Since I didn't really know how to explain you this further, here's a quote from the Wikipedia: "an electric field or E-field is an effect produced by an electric charge that exerts a force on charged objects in its vicinity.".

Hope that helps :smile:
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2005
  4. Aug 6, 2005 #3
    Scroll down to the Why do we need fields in physics entry. The answers to your questions are all in it

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?