Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Electric Fields

1. Aug 5, 2005 #1
    I'm trying to understand the concept of the Electric Field. Is it a force itself? Or its some abstract piece of energy that generates a force?

I don't really get how its different from a force. Isn't it referred to as a "force field"?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 5, 2005 #2

TD

Homework Helper

As far as I know, it's not exactly a force.
    An E-field is defined as followed:
    [tex]\vec E \equiv \mathop {\lim }\limits_{q_0 \to 0} \frac{{\vec F}}{{q_0 }}[/tex]

Here is [itex]q_0[/itex] a test charge and [itex]\vec F[/itex] the electric force.
    Therefore, an E-field is a force per charge so in N/C.

Since I didn't really know how to explain you this further, here's a quote from the Wikipedia: "an electric field or E-field is an effect produced by an electric charge that exerts a force on charged objects in its vicinity.".

Hope that helps :smile:

Last edited: Aug 5, 2005
  4. Aug 6, 2005 #3
    Scroll down to the https://www.physicsforums.com/journal.php?s=&action=view&journalid=13790&perpage=10&page=7 [Broken] entry. The answers to your questions are all in it

marlon

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2017
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook