1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Flux and dipoles

1. Jan 16, 2007 #1
    I have a figure showing two dipoles each having a Q and -Q charge with distance d separating the positive and negative of each dipole. The dipoles are then surrounded by multiple closed surfaces. I need to match fluxes of 8pikQ, 4pikQ, -8pikQ, - 4pikQ and 0 to these surfaces.

Gauss' Law states that flux=Eda=4(pi)kq for any closed surface

Since I have dipoles, my electric fields will be pulled toward the negative charge. THerefore, surfaces with negative charges in them should have a negative flux b/c the field points to the interior of the closed surface while my surfaces encompassing positive charges should have positive flux b/c the field points to the exterior of the surface. So, since each surface has a flux of 4pikq wouldn't the flux just keep adding up as the vector went through each additional surface?

thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 17, 2007 #2
    Could you post the figure?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?