1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Flux and Gauss's law

1. Sep 8, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    1)
    A large cube has its bottom face on the x-z plane and its back face on the x-y plane. The corners on the x-axis are at (3.39 m,0,0) and (12.3 m,0,0). The cube is immersed in an electric field pointing in the positive x-direction, and given by:

E = (91.2x^2 - 2.9)i, x is the distance along the x-axis in m, and E is in N/C.

Find the net charge Q inside the cube, in μC.

2)
    There are two hollow, conducting, concentric spheres, with air between the spheres:

-Sphere 1 is the inner sphere; it has inner radius a = 2.35 mm, outer radius b = 8.53 mm, and carries charge Q1 = -8.41 pC.

- Sphere 2 is the outer sphere; it has inner radius c = 3.58 cm, outer radius d = 7.92 cm, and carries charge Q2 = 5.84 pC.

- At the common center is point charge Q = -7.21 pC.

Find the charge on the outer surface of sphere 2, in pC.
    2. Relevant equations
    ∮E*dA = Q/E0

3. The attempt at a solution
    Q 1) I try to use equation ∮E*dA = Q/E0 to solve first question, but what I am confusing is the variable E is not a constant, should I plug in the value of x to solve it? and for the surface area since it is a cube, I should count as 6r^2? r is the slice length of the cube.
    Q 2) I guess it is a simple question but I just can not figure out the relationship between two spheres.

thank you for help.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2015 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

4. Sep 8, 2015 #3
  5. Sep 8, 2015 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What is the electric field within the conducting material itself?

6. Sep 8, 2015 #5
    within the conducting material itself. do you mean inside the inner radius of inner cycle? is it kQ/a^2?

7. Sep 8, 2015 #6

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I mean: within the conducting material itself, for either of the shells in this problem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted