1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Flux/Gauss' Law

1. Oct 2, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A point charge [tex]q_{1} = 4.15 \times 10^-6 [/tex] is located on the x-axis at x = 1.80 m, and a second point charge [tex]q_{2} = -5.80 \times 10^-6[/tex] C is on the y-axis at y = 1.10 m. What is the total electric flux due to these two point charges through a spherical surface centered at the origin and with radius r = 1.45 m?
    Take the permittivity of free space to be [tex] 8.85 \times 10^{-12}\:{\rm C}^{2}/{\rm N \cdot m}^{2}.[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

[tex] \phi_{E} = \frac{Q_{enclosed}}{\epsilon_{0}} [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I just divided the one charge inside the sphere by epsilon naught.

[tex] \frac{q_{2}}{\epsilon_{0}} [/tex]

So I get, [tex] -6.55 \times 10^{5} [/tex]

I'm sure I screwed something obvious up, any suggestions?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2007 #2

Homework Helper

Why are you sure you messed up? Show the calculation you made and also be sure to show your units.
  4. Oct 2, 2007 #3
    I know I'm wrong because this hw's online and I got it wrong, and I loose points for every wrong answer suckily. Well the units for q were nanocoulombs which I changed to coulombs and then epsilon naught is [tex] {\rm C}^{2}/{\rm N \cdot {m}}^{2} [/tex]. So they cancel out do give [tex] {\rm N \cdot m}^{2}/ \rm C} [/tex]

Calculation was [tex] \frac{-5.8 \cdot 10^{-12}}{8.85 \cdot 10^{-12}} [/tex]

crap... I used the wrong changing of units it [tex] 1 \cdot 10^{-9} [/tex] coulombs per nanocoulombs... not -6.

Thanks solo.
  5. Oct 2, 2007 #4

Homework Helper

Well, that was easy on me... As a suggestion, when you present a problem in the forum, type it in exactly as it appeared originally. That would have made the SI prefix error easy to spot. Your method was correct!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?