What is the Difference Between \oint and \int in Electric Flux Integrals?

In summary, the conversation revolved around the use of integrals in the physics and math courses. The equation for electric flux, \Phi=\oint D . dA, was discussed along with the difference between the integrals \oint and \int. The main difference was clarified as \oint being an integral over the entire area while \int is just a regular integral, but both are integrated in the same way. The conversation ended with the question being resolved.
rshalloo

Homework Statement

Hey as per ususal our physics course has run ahead of our maths course and started using this type of integral[tex]\oint[/tex] for the equation for electric flux

Homework Equations

[tex]\Phi=\oint D . dA[/tex]
Where[tex]\Phi[/tex] = Total electric flux through an area dA with electric flux density D

The Attempt at a Solution

My Problem is that I don't understand the difference between this itegral [tex]\oint[/tex] and this one [tex]\int[/tex]

Can some one point out this difference for me please?

Physics news on Phys.org
well i can't tel the difference you are asking but yes ... [tex]\oint[/tex] is called integral over whole area and [tex]\int[/tex] is just called integral ...

and both are integrated same way ...

cupid.callin said:
well i can't tel the difference you are asking but yes ... [tex]\oint[/tex] is called integral over whole area and [tex]\int[/tex] is just called integral ...

and both are integrated same way ...

No that was it, thanks very much :)

1. What is an electric flux integral?

An electric flux integral is a mathematical concept used to measure the flow of electric field through a surface. It takes into account the strength and direction of the electric field as well as the orientation and area of the surface.

2. How is electric flux integral calculated?

The electric flux integral is calculated by taking the dot product of the electric field and the surface area vector, and then integrating over the surface. This can be represented mathematically as Φ=E⋅dA.

3. What is the unit of electric flux integral?

The unit of electric flux integral is Newton-meter squared per Coulomb (N⋅m2/C).

4. What is the significance of electric flux integral in electromagnetism?

The electric flux integral is an important concept in electromagnetism as it helps in determining the strength of the electric field through a surface and allows for the calculation of electric charges and currents.

5. How is the direction of electric flux determined?

The direction of electric flux is determined by the direction of the electric field and the orientation of the surface. The flux will be positive if the electric field and surface are in the same direction, and negative if they are in opposite directions.