Calculate the flux through the surface?

In summary: E(pi*r^2).In summary, the flux through a hemispherical surface with radius e in a region of uniform electric field E, with its axis aligned parallel to the direction of the field, can be calculated using the equation Flux = E A cos β. However, if the surface is open to the atmosphere, the flux will only involve the curved surface of the hemisphere, resulting in a flux of E(pi*r^2). This is because the x- and y-components of flux cancel out in the top part of the hemisphere, leaving only the contributions of the positive z-direction vectors, while all vectors in the bottom point in the -z-direction, resulting in a net flux of E(2pi*r^
ehabmozart

Homework Statement

A hemispherical surface with radius e in a region of uniform electric field E has its axis aligned parallel to the direction of the field. Calculate the flux through the surface?

Homework Equations

Flux = E A cos β

The Attempt at a Solution

Why can't we say that the flux is E * Area of hemisphere which is E (2∏r^2)+(∏r^2) ?

Thanks for clarifying!

Physics news on Phys.org
ehabmozart said:
Why can't we say that the flux is E * Area of hemisphere which is E (2∏r^2) + (∏r^2) ?
Do the quantities either side of your plus sign have identical units??

That aside, if you want to involve a constant flux and the area of a hemisphere then you'd need that the flux be uniform over that area. But is isn't. Some of the hemisphere's surface is almost parallel to the E field, while some is almost perpendicular to E.

BTW, I think the hemisphere in question is 'open to the atmosphere', a surface comprising half a spherical shell.

Allright, I knew that the answer should be E (pi r^2) only... They said it should involve the down circle only... But my question is why? ... And a reply to your is that yes, the electric field should be constant over a hemisphere since the radius is the same everywhere... Hence, the flux should so be the same everywhere!

hi ehabmozart! :smile:

hint: suppose it was a closed surface (the hemisphere plus the base) …

what would the flux be then? :wink:

Hi tinytim! :)

I guess your hint was the question itself... I consider the answer to be E * (2 pi r^2 + pi r^2) and not as the book suggests E pi r^2 :) Kindly help!

hmm …

how generally would you calculate the flux through a closed surface?

any theorems?

All what I've take is that Flux = E A ... We didn't even reach gauss's law so i want an easy approach to this!

can i get more clarification on why the electric flux through the circle will be the same which passes through the top part of the hemisphere?

ehabmozart said:
can i get more clarification on why the electric flux through the circle will be the same which passes through the top part of the hemisphere?
Since the field is uniform and normal to the circle, every bundle of flux that passes through the hemispherical shell will pass through the circle, and vice versa.

Ok... that's fine.. But y?? I mean the circle is not having the same surface area as the hemisphere does?

Sketch a field of parallel flux lines, and draw in a hemisphere. (No need to post it here, so don't worry about not having good sketching ability.)

Count the number of flux lines that pass through the hemispheric surface. Compare this count with the number of flux line that pass through the flat circular surface. Can you see any relationship?

(just got up :zzz:)
ehabmozart said:

hint: what is the divergence (at a general point (x,y,z)) of an electric field of constant magnitude E in the z direction? :smile:

The reason that it is E*(pi*r^2) isn't because only the bottom part matters. It's because, in the top part, the x-and y-components of flux cancel out, due to the n^ vectors coming out of the surface at varying directions, leaving only the contributions of the positive z-direction n^ vectors, and in the bottom, all n^ vectors point in the -z-direction. Thus, the net of the flux would be E(surface area of top part)-E(surface area of base)=E(2*pi*r^2)-(pi*r^2), leaving just E(pi*r^2).

Since the E field goes inward on the circular base, the flux is -E(pi*r^2). Since it is pointing outward from the concaved part, the flux is E(2pi*r^2) (since it is half a sphere the area is halfed). Then just compine the two

1. What is flux?

Flux is a measure of the flow of a quantity through a surface. In physics, it is often used to describe the amount of a physical quantity (such as electric or magnetic field, fluid, or energy) passing through an area over a given time.

2. How do you calculate flux through a surface?

The flux through a surface can be calculated by taking the dot product of the vector field and the surface's normal vector, and then integrating this product over the surface. The resulting value represents the amount of the vector field passing through the surface per unit area.

3. What is the unit of flux?

The unit of flux depends on the type of quantity being measured. For example, electric flux is measured in coulombs per square meter, while magnetic flux is measured in tesla square meters. Overall, flux is typically measured in units of force, energy, or flow per unit area.

4. Can flux be negative?

Yes, flux can be negative. This occurs when the vector field and the surface's normal vector are in opposite directions, resulting in a negative value for the flux. Negative flux represents a net flow out of the surface, while positive flux represents a net flow into the surface.

5. What factors can affect the flux through a surface?

The flux through a surface can be affected by the strength and direction of the vector field, the size and orientation of the surface, and the angle between the vector field and the surface's normal vector. Additionally, the presence of boundaries or obstacles can also impact the flux through a surface.