Calculating Electric Flux Through Planar Surfaces | Solved Example"

In summary: Your Name]In summary, the problem requires finding the flux of a given field through three squares of equal length in the xy, xz, and zy planes. The forum poster initially attempts to calculate the flux through each square separately, but realizes that the total flux through all three squares is zero due to perpendicularity with the field vector. A suggestion is offered to approach the problem by visualizing the entire enclosed region as a single volume and using the divergence theorem to calculate the flux.
bitrex
Electric flux question (solved it)

Homework Statement

I have to find the flux of [tex]F = ix + jy + kz[/tex] through three squares, each lying in the xy, xz, and zy planes with sides of length b.

Homework Equations

flux with planar symmetry - E*A.

The Attempt at a Solution

The flux through the square in the x y plane is going to be the z component of the flux function times the area, or [tex]zb^2[/tex]. Similarly the flux through the other 2 surfaces should be [tex]xb^2[/tex] and [tex]yb^2[/tex]. I would think I could sum these to get the total flux through the three surfaces, but the answer turns out to be 0. Ideas would be appreciated.

Edit: The flux through the three squares is zero because they are all perpendicular to the field vector, that is with [tex]\iint \vec{E}\cdot \vec{n} dA[/tex] the normal vector to say, the x y plane is going to be [tex]i0 + j0 + k[/tex] and the field on the xy plane is going to be [tex]ix + jy +k0[/tex]. Same for the other planes. So there's no total flux through the planes because they're always perpendicular to the field vector. No point in doing the integral!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your attempt at solving this problem. It seems like you have a good understanding of the concept of electric flux and planar symmetry. Your explanation for why the total flux through the three squares is zero is correct - because they are all perpendicular to the field vector, there is no component of the field that is parallel to the surface, and thus no flux.

However, I would like to offer a suggestion for how you could approach this problem differently and perhaps get a better understanding of electric flux. Instead of considering the individual flux through each square, try to visualize the entire region enclosed by the three squares as a single volume. Can you think of a way to calculate the flux through this entire volume using the divergence theorem? This theorem relates the flux through a closed surface to the divergence of the electric field within that volume.

I hope this suggestion helps and good luck with your studies!

I would like to commend you on your attempt at solving this problem. Your understanding of the concept of electric flux through planar surfaces is correct. As you have pointed out, the flux through a surface is given by the dot product of the electric field and the surface normal vector, multiplied by the area of the surface. In this case, since the electric field is perpendicular to all three surfaces, the dot product will always be zero, resulting in a total flux of zero. This is because the electric field lines are parallel to the surfaces and do not intersect them, resulting in no electric flux passing through the surfaces. This is a common scenario in problems involving planar surfaces, and it is important to recognize when the flux will be zero without having to calculate it. Keep up the good work!

1. What is electric flux?

Electric flux is a measure of the number of electric field lines passing through a given area. It is a scalar quantity and is represented by the symbol Φ.

2. What is the formula for electric flux?

The formula for electric flux is Φ = E * A * cos(θ), where E is the electric field strength, A is the area, and θ is the angle between the electric field and the normal vector to the surface.

3. How is electric flux related to Gauss's law?

Gauss's law states that the electric flux through a closed surface is equal to the net charge enclosed by that surface. In other words, the electric flux is directly proportional to the enclosed charge.

4. How is electric flux affected by the shape of the surface?

The shape of the surface can affect the electric flux by changing the angle between the electric field and the normal vector. If the surface is parallel to the electric field, the electric flux will be maximized. If the surface is perpendicular to the electric field, the electric flux will be zero.

5. Can electric flux be negative?

Yes, electric flux can be negative. This occurs when the electric field and the normal vector are in opposite directions, resulting in a negative value for the electric flux. It can also occur when the enclosed charge is negative, as the electric flux will then have an opposite direction to the electric field.