What is the electric flux through the rectangle

In summary, the electric flux through the 2cm x 3cm rectangle in the xz-plane is zero in the first scenario where E=(50i+100k) N/C, as the electric field is parallel to the rectangle and does not cross it. In the second scenario where E=(50i+100j) N/C, the electric flux is 0.001 Nm^2/C. To calculate this, we use the formula for electric flux, which is equal to the electric field strength multiplied by the perpendicular area of the surface. In this case, the perpendicular area is 0.001 m^2 and the electric field strength in the j direction is 100j N/C. Therefore, the electric flux
spatel600
Question 1: A 2cm x 3cm rectangle lies in the xz-plane. What is the electric flux through the rectangle if

E=(50i+100k) N/C

and

E=(50i+100j) N/C

Question 2:
A 1cm x 1cm x 1cm box is between the plates of a parallel-plate capacitor with two faces of the box perpendicular to E . The electric field strength is 1000 N/C.

What is the electric flux?

So far i have gotten .001
Any suggestions?

PLEASE HELP!

When it comes to the i,j,k stuff I always can never figure it out. Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
hello, could u help me with my physics homework?

elizabethg: Please don't "hijack" someone else's thread. All homework questions should be posted in the appropriate homework forum- ask specific questions and show what you have done on the problem yourself.

SpateI600: The rectangle is in the x-z plane so only that part of the field in the y (or j) direction give flux through it.
In problem 1, E=(50i+100k) N/C which has NO j component- it is parallel to the rectangle and doesn't cross it. What does that tell you about the flux through the rectangle?

In problem2, E=(50i+100j) N/C. The j component is 100j N/C. Now think about what N and C mean and the area of the rectangle.

1. What is electric flux?

Electric flux is a measure of the flow of an electric field through a given area. It is a scalar quantity and is measured in units of volts per meter (V/m).

2. How is electric flux calculated?

Electric flux is calculated by taking the product of the magnitude of the electric field and the area perpendicular to the field. This can be represented by the equation Φ = E * A * cos(θ), where Φ is electric flux, E is electric field, A is area, and θ is the angle between the electric field and the surface normal.

3. What is the unit of electric flux?

The unit of electric flux is volts per meter (V/m).

4. What is the significance of a rectangle in calculating electric flux?

A rectangle is often used as a surface to calculate electric flux because it has a well-defined area and the angle between the electric field and the surface normal can easily be determined. However, any closed surface can be used to calculate electric flux as long as the electric field and the surface are perpendicular to each other.

5. How can the direction of electric flux be determined?

The direction of electric flux is determined by the direction of the electric field. Electric flux will always flow from areas of high electric potential to areas of low electric potential.