Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Electric Flux Question

1. Jul 23, 2005 #1
    Can anybody help me find the:

The flux linkage with sphere of radius R placed at x=x0 (distance on the x axis).

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2005 #2
    It would have been better if you told the direction(s) of the Field , or isnt there any field here? , Flux is the electric field through unit area. I assume that the elEctric field lines entering the sphere are all parallel and in the same direction.Then the number of lines entering the sphere= No. of lines leaving the sphere , and hence the there is no net flux.

BJ

BJ

4. Jul 23, 2005 #3

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

I am unfamiliar with the term "flux linkage" in this context. Can you restate your question?

5. Jul 26, 2005 #4
    I am so sorry. I forgot that a charge Q is enclosed in the sphere and the electric field lines are parallel to x axis from left to right.and flux linkage means simply flux.

6. Jul 26, 2005 #5

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Gauss's law relates the total flux through a closed surface (like this sphere) to the net charged contained within it. That's all you need.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook