1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Flux Question

1. Jul 23, 2005 #1
    Can anybody help me find the:

The flux linkage with sphere of radius R placed at x=x0 (distance on the x axis).

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2005 #2
    It would have been better if you told the direction(s) of the Field , or isnt there any field here? , Flux is the electric field through unit area. I assume that the elEctric field lines entering the sphere are all parallel and in the same direction.Then the number of lines entering the sphere= No. of lines leaving the sphere , and hence the there is no net flux.

4. Jul 23, 2005 #3

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

I am unfamiliar with the term "flux linkage" in this context. Can you restate your question?
  5. Jul 26, 2005 #4
    I am so sorry. I forgot that a charge Q is enclosed in the sphere and the electric field lines are parallel to x axis from left to right.and flux linkage means simply flux.
  6. Jul 26, 2005 #5

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Gauss's law relates the total flux through a closed surface (like this sphere) to the net charged contained within it. That's all you need.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?