Electric flux through a box

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of flux through each side of an empty cardboard box placed in an electric field. The sides of the box are labeled A, B, C, D, and E, and have different dimensions. The homework equation used is Flux = EAcostheta, however, the attempt at a solution using cos71 and cos19 did not give the correct answer. The person is unsure if they are missing something conceptually and asks for help understanding where they may have gone wrong.
zooboodoo

Homework Statement

A empty cardboard box is placed in an electric field pointing upwards with a strength of 1100 N/C as shown above. The bottom of the box is tilted up by an angle Θ = 19° from the horizontal. Side A of the box faces out of the page and is 10 cm high and 14 cm long. Sides B and C are 10 cm high and 12 cm deep. Sides D and E are 14 cm long and 12 cm deep.

calculate flux through each side of the box

Homework Equations

I have the equation Flux=EAcostheta

The Attempt at a Solution

(1100)(120)(cos71) did not give me the right answer, so I thought I would try cos19, but that also didn't work. ( that is for side B) I'm not sure if I'm missing something conceptually, I also tried the negatives for both of these answers, the flux is flowing through the side, to my understanding, i don't see when the flux would NOT be going through the side in order to get a negative result. If someone could help me grasp where I'm going wrong with one of the sides i would greatly appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi zooboodoo! :smile:

:confused: which is the base of the box? which edge is still on the table? :smile:

I would first like to clarify the concept of electric flux. Electric flux is a measure of the electric field passing through a given area. It is defined as the product of the electric field strength and the area perpendicular to the field. In this case, the electric flux through each side of the box can be calculated using the formula: Flux = E * A * cosθ, where E is the electric field strength, A is the area of the side, and θ is the angle between the electric field and the area vector.

Now, let's consider the calculation of flux through side B of the box. The correct equation to use would be Flux = E * A * cosθ, where E is the electric field strength of 1100 N/C, A is the area of side B (12 cm * 10 cm = 120 cm^2), and θ is the angle between the electric field and the area vector. Since the electric field is pointing upwards and side B is tilted at an angle of 19° from the horizontal, the angle between the field and the area vector is 90° - 19° = 71°. Therefore, the correct calculation would be Flux = (1100 N/C) * (120 cm^2) * cos(71°) = 1100 * 120 * 0.342 = 44880 N·cm^2.

It is important to note that the angle used in the cosθ term should always be the angle between the electric field and the area vector. In this case, the angle between the electric field and the area vector for side B is 71°, not 19°.

I would also like to mention that the negative sign in the equation is used to indicate the direction of the electric flux. In this case, since the electric field is pointing upwards and side B is facing out of the page, the electric flux through side B is positive. However, if the electric field was pointing downwards and side B was facing into the page, the electric flux would be negative.

I hope this explanation helps you understand the concept of electric flux and how to correctly calculate it through each side of the box. If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask.

What is electric flux?

Electric flux is a measure of the total amount of electric field passing through a given surface. It is represented by the symbol Φe and is measured in units of volts per meter (V/m).

What is a box in relation to electric flux?

In the context of electric flux, a "box" refers to an imaginary closed surface surrounding a charge or a group of charges. It is used to calculate the total electric flux passing through the surface.

How is electric flux through a box calculated?

The electric flux through a box is calculated by taking the dot product of the electric field and the area vector of the box. Mathematically, it can be represented as Φe = E * A * cosθ, where E is the electric field, A is the area vector, and θ is the angle between them.

What factors affect the electric flux through a box?

The electric flux through a box is affected by the magnitude and direction of the electric field, the size and orientation of the box, and the distribution and magnitude of the charges enclosed within the box.

What is the significance of electric flux in physics?

Electric flux is an important concept in physics as it helps in understanding the behavior of electric fields and charges. It is used in various applications, such as in Gauss's law, to calculate the total amount of charge enclosed by a surface, and in electromagnetic induction, to determine the induced electric field. It also plays a crucial role in the study of electric fields and potential energy.