1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric flux through a box

1. Jan 28, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A empty cardboard box is placed in an electric field pointing upwards with a strength of 1100 N/C as shown above. The bottom of the box is tilted up by an angle Θ = 19° from the horizontal. Side A of the box faces out of the page and is 10 cm high and 14 cm long. Sides B and C are 10 cm high and 12 cm deep. Sides D and E are 14 cm long and 12 cm deep.

calculate flux through each side of the box
    2. Relevant equations
    I have the equation Flux=EAcostheta

3. The attempt at a solution
    (1100)(120)(cos71) did not give me the right answer, so I thought I would try cos19, but that also didn't work. ( that is for side B) i'm not sure if i'm missing something conceptually, I also tried the negatives for both of these answers, the flux is flowing through the side, to my understanding, i dont see when the flux would NOT be going through the side in order to get a negative result. If someone could help me grasp where i'm going wrong with one of the sides i would greatly appreciate it.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2009 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi zooboodoo! :smile:

:confused: which is the base of the box? which edge is still on the table? :smile:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?