Understanding Faraday's Experiment and Electric Flux

In summary, the conversation is about Faraday's experiment with 2 spheres and its relation to the concept of electric flux and its translation to Gauss' law. The speaker is seeking help to understand the physics behind these formulas and how Gauss was able to translate Faraday's experimental results into them. The Wikipedia article on electric flux is not helpful in this regard.
A7m3D
I knew about Faraday's experiment of the 2 spheres but
i can not understand the relation between his experimental results and what called
the electric flux and surely the translation of all of this to the famous Gauss' law .
So i need help to understand the whole idea about flux ..

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
A7m3D said:
I knew about Faraday's experiment of the 2 spheres but
i can not understand the relation between his experimental results and what called
the electric flux and surely the translation of all of this to the famous Gauss' law .
So i need help to understand the whole idea about flux ..

Does the introduction at wikipedia help?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_flux

Thanks for your reply

But This is not help because i want to know the physics of this formulas and how Gauss translate Faraday's experimental results into this formulas

What is Faraday's experiment?

Faraday's experiment, also known as the "magnetic field induction experiment," was performed by Michael Faraday in 1831. It involved moving a magnet inside a coil of wire, which generated an electric current. This experiment demonstrated the connection between electricity and magnetism, leading to the development of the concept of electromagnetic induction.

How did Faraday's experiment contribute to our understanding of electricity and magnetism?

Faraday's experiment showed that a changing magnetic field can produce an electric current, revealing the fundamental relationship between electricity and magnetism. This discovery laid the foundation for the development of generators, transformers, and other electrical devices that we rely on in our daily lives.

What is electric flux?

Electric flux is a measure of the electric field passing through a given area. It is represented by the symbol ΦE and is defined as the total number of electric field lines passing through a given area. It is a useful concept in understanding the strength and direction of electric fields.

How is electric flux related to Faraday's experiment?

In Faraday's experiment, the changing magnetic field induces an electric current in the coil of wire. This current generates its own magnetic field, creating a circular loop of electric and magnetic fields. The electric flux in this loop is equal to the rate of change of the magnetic flux passing through the loop, as described by Faraday's law of induction.

How is Faraday's experiment relevant in modern science?

Faraday's experiment is still relevant in modern science as it forms the basis of electromagnetic theory and has numerous practical applications. It has also paved the way for further advancements in the field of electricity and magnetism, leading to the development of technologies such as electric motors, generators, and power grids.